Coleman Hawkins Centennial Collection

medjuck

Just got this and really enjoying it even though it's about 5th Hawkins collection I own that starts with Body & Soul and I already have almost every cut on the cd. But the DVD is worth the price of the package. I just wished there was more documentation. They explain a bit about the shows excerpted but they don't i.d. the musicians! I know everybody in the selection from The Sound of Jazz but I don't recognize all of the many musicians in the selection from The Art Ford Jazz Party or the one other number. Prez, Willie the Lion Smith and Pee Wee Russell are easy to recognize but who are the others? The cd notes point out that the trumbonist is J.C. Higginbotham and I presume the tumpet player is Charlie Shavers. It looks like Milt Hinton on bass on one number and I recognize the other piano player but can't remember where from (Johnny Guarnieri maybe?).

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW At least it is Bean's Centenary. And Fats Waller's but why are there Centennial Collections for Artie Shaw, Duyke and Benny Goodman?

Just got this and really enjoying it even though it's about 5th Hawkins collection I own that starts with Body & Soul and I already have almost every cut on the cd. But the DVD is worth the price of the package. I just wished there was more documentation. They explain a bit about the shows excerpted but they don't i.d. the musicians! I know everybody in the selection from The Sound of Jazz but I don't recognize all of the many musicians in the selection from The Art Ford Jazz Party or the one other number. Prez, Willie the Lion Smith and Pee Wee Russell are easy to recognize but who are the others? The cd notes point out that the trumbonist is J.C. Higginbotham and I presume the tumpet player is Charlie Shavers. It looks like Milt Hinton on bass on one number and I recognize the other piano player but can't remember where from (Johnny Guarnieri maybe?).

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW At least it is Bean's Centenary. And Fats Waller's but why are there Centennial Collections for Artie Shaw, Duyke and Benny Goodman?

I have a bootleg VHS tape of two Art Ford Jazz Party shows. While the personnel listed is somewhat incomplete for the show that includes Hawkins (no bassist identified, for example), the participants include Charlie Shavers (tp); Vic Dickinson (tb); Pee Wee Russell (cl); Harry Sheppard (vb); Willie 'the Lion' Smith (p); Dick Thompson (g); Sonny Greer (d); May Barnes (vcl). Hope this helps.