Regattabar - Anybody Had a Chance to Attend Shows?

makpjazz57

marla,

i saw clark terry and hank jones there last month, and i'm going to see conrad herwig tomorrow night. there has always been a cover charge at the regattabar, and it has increased considerably since the blue note takeover. unfortunately, they have not done a very good job of advertising, and as a result some of the shows have been poorly attended.

Edited by jazzshrink

I caught "Fly" at the R-bar last night.Fantastic show!Good turnout considering how little it was advertised.

No minimums.Same bar menu.

I think The Regatta Bar/Blue Note are booking really interesting stuff.More than before.Sex Mob,Bob Belden,Greg Osby are all comin' right up!

I played The Real Deal club recently.The acoustics are not made for Jazz, it seemed to me. Nice room though.

I hope people support these places! Now if Ryles could get a competent booker...

I'll be at the R'bar tomorrow night. Mark Shim comes into town with drummer Mike Clark. As an added bonus, he has Onaje Allan Gumbs on piano. I don't remember the last time I saw him play. I hope he's in his straight-ahead mode and avoids playing the smooth stuff he's been known for lately.

This Saturday at Ryle's, vibe player Matthias Lupri is bringing in a band with Chris Potter on sax. I'm thinking about this... although the unknown guitarist scares me.

Later,

Kevin

I would definitely go, but my parents AND my in-laws will be in town. I think its probably out of the question...

Let me know how they sound if you go!

edit: added link to samples of new disc. same guitarist. Click here, then on recordings. Samples from TRANSITION SONIC.

Edited by .:.impossible

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the new RBar twice now. Once to see pianist Jean-Michel Pilc (solo). Fantastic and original takes on standards and Monk but only playing to a handful, 25-30, people. A shame.

Conrad Herwig/Brian Lynch brought their "Latin Miles Kind of Blue" project in for three nights. I went Thursday and was blown away by the music. The band included Mario Rivera on baritone saxaphone and Edsel Gomez at the piano. Again, no more than 40-50 people in a club that holds over 200. I don't know how they did on Fri-Sat (there was a piece i The Boston Globe on Friday so things might have picked up.

Either The Charles or The Blue Note has to do more (spend alittle money) to get the word out. Thursday nights ere always packed with music lovers, students, die-hard jazz fans avoiding the week-end date night crowd.

Saw Danilo Perez at Real Deal.Great music. Not the best acoustics. Pretty good crowd. Uncomfortable folding plastic chairs. Side doors kept opening up for patrons and wait staff to enter and leave, breaking the mood.

But we need to support all of these efforts. Boston is a jazz town. Ryles. Zeitgeist, etc

Let's hope for the best!