Dwitza

jazzbo

I've really been enjoying Ed Motta's latest cd, "Dwitza."

10095.jpg

I ran across Motta for the first time a few months ago on a video'd concert from Brazil that Jim R dubbed for me. . . He blew my socks off singing a Baden Powell song. Man, he can sing. . .there was something about that one performance that I found fascinating.

I've since discovered he was one monster soul singer in Brazil for a few decades. . . . He could sing like Al Green and Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder and still like Ed Motta! This newest release is something different. His singing is downplayed here, his composing, arranging and keyboard playing is to the fore, and the intent is to create a new-sounding sound that combines souljazz and Brazilian elements and even Steely Dan. . . .

I think it is very successful. The whole album has a positive and infectious vibe. Good tunes, good playing. I'm really digging it!

190.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Hi Lon,

Ed just released a new album. he has been recently in Japan doing a tour with Incognito. he plays on one track on their latest album (Cada Dia)

i´ve met him 2 times and he is a close friend to other 2 friends of mine. he is a compulsive vynil buyer!!

he started his career deeply involved with funk & r&b but now he´s trying to be acessible on pop & instrumental charts.

do you know Joao Donato, a brazilian piano player?? i think you´re gonna love him too

peace

Marcus Oliveira