Eberhard Weber: Pendulum

Swinger

Not one I play often - I prefer Weber in a group setting, and this one is solo with overdubbing. Having said that Weber's solo concerts are very enjoyable. He's really amusing, not an impression you get from the pictures of him where he looks quite glum.

'Yellow Fields', 'Silent Feet', 'Little Movements' and his marvellous contribution to Ralph Towner's 'Solstice' are my favourite Weber discs.

Ralph Towner's 'Solstice'

Quite possibly my favorite ECM of all time. I believe it's on Oceanus where they arrive at this beautiful major tonality at the end after a long period of modal/minor harmony. Always gives me a rush. :tup

Great album. I'm pretty sure it was one of my 1st ECMs!

As for Yellow Fields, I'd really like to find a copy on CD. It was never released on CD in the states.

Quite possibly my favorite ECM of all time. I believe it's on Oceanus where they arrive at this beautiful major tonality at the end after a long period of modal/minor harmony. Always gives me a rush. :tup

Great album. I'm pretty sure it was one of my 1st ECMs!

One of my first as well. A popular "party" record in the 70s, if you catch my drift. :eye::eye:

7/4

You can purchase "Yellow Fields" at jazzos.com for example.

Regarding "Pendulum"...A friend of mine was trying to sell his copy yesterday but I postponed my decision.

I listened to its sound samples at mp3.com and didn't like it for some reason. I can still remember the day when I borrowed The Colours of Chloe from local library.It was love at first note ;)

Bev: Is Yellow Fields as good as Chloe is? According to Penguin Guide it's rated as a 4-star album. I want your honest opinion on this one.

Bev: Is Yellow Fields as good as Chloe is? According to Penguin Guide it's rated as a 4-star album. I want your honest opinion on this one.

Are you expecting my dishonest opinion?!!!!!! [one of those smiley faces to make clear this not genuine outrage!]

'Yellow Fields' was the first Weber I heard (apart from Solstice) and I never heard 'Chloe' until many years later. Chloe has never struck me as strongly. I actually like 'Silent Feet' and 'Little Movements' better than both.

'Yellow Fields' is very much a group record; a little minimalist in feel in that the group set up loop-like patterns but then develop them into something more organic in their solos. I think the tunes on the album are lovely.

With 'Silent Feet' and 'Little Movements' the group break further away from the patterns but retain the melodicism - it just seems more natural to my ears.

So in a way its hard to advise. I'm not sure what expectations 'Chloe' well set up in listening to these records and whether they'll be fulfilled. All I can say is I get great pleasure out of all four records and love that sound world. I've always felt this 'Colours' group of Webers developed a side of 'In a Silent Way' that remained largely unexplored. Where most followed the rock/funk possibilities (including Miles himself), Weber seemed to pick up on the shimmering melodicism.

• 3 years later...

i find charles mariano a bit annoying with his keening tone, especially when he gets ethnic.

yellow fields is a bit boring whereas colours of chloe i find to be unique and interesting. no mariano and peter giger, more known at the time for his krautrock contributions (dzyan, etc) than jazzy stuff, might be reasons why. little movements and silent feet are both a bit stiff. if you are british you probably dig them more because john marshall is on the drums rather than giger or jon christensen who is on yellow fields. but for anyone outside the UK, marshall is a bit stiff, imo. it is still good to great fusion, despite mariano's keening and marshall's too stiff drumming, and it is a unique soundworld but it is a bit stiff and wishy washy. you might as well check out later that evening too, which has jerry granelli and bill frisell and the equally keening paul mccandless but also has nice parts. all of them have high and dull parts...even yellow fields. colours of chloe has slow parts but they are more um logical since it has more of an orchestral chamber feel with the large groupings of strings. pendulum is fine. i don't understand what the issue is. isn't it an album of solo bass? what would you expect? if you know what weber sounds like, can't you imagine what he would sound like solo. he loops shit up but if you like him and you like solo bass you might like it but for many, an album of solo bass, even with looped layers, would be boring. i feel like it is more your own personal taste. solstice is very good, probably more interesting than many of these weber albums from a jazz perspective.

Pat Metheny's Watercolors is another one with a knockout performance by EW. This is another one of my early Jazz purchases influenced by reading Guitar Player.

watercolor7on.jpg

The first Metheny I bought and, alongside the very different '80/81', still my favourite. Pastel, mellow, impressionistic - probably not jazz at all to those who worry about such things. But I greatly prefer it to the rockier records he went for a bit later with the PMG. Weber is wonderful on it.

• 1 year later...

I agree, fantastic album. Since were talking Weber as a side man lets not forget his playing on Gary Burton's Ring. Possibly my favorite (top five anyways) ECM record.

I need to pick up Yellow Fields and Watercolors. Thanks everybody.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...