Wallace Roney

medjuck

Saw Wallace Roney with a quintet at a small club here in Santa Barbara. I hadn't heard him except on the cd and Lazer disc of his apperance with Miles at Montreux. I'd heard that the had a new "electric" cd out but he showed up with an acoustic group and they blew the roof off the place. Group sounded a bit like the 2nd Miles quintet but with more of a blues feel. Lot's of shifting rhythms, pedal points and even stop-times. A great drummer named Eric Allen and equally terrific bass player who I think was Matt Garrison. They were selling the new cd at the club so I got a copy. It has Adam Holzman on Fender Rhodes and DJ Logic on some cuts. So far I'm a little disappointed in the cd but that may ust be becaseu I was so impressed by the live acoustic performance.

Ayone else hearad this group live?

Not this particular lineup but I did see Roney and Holzman do a tribute concert for Miles about 5 years ago. That band had Bennie Maupin, Buster Williams and Lenny White in it. Patrice Rushen also came in on keyboards for some of the numbers. Hugely enjoyable evening, quite a lot of Miles's electric material was covered but they also did some 50s/60s acoustic classics too.