Deacon John

Harold_Z

I saw Deacon John perform this past Sunday and I have to say I DUG IT !

I DUG THE SHOW

I was totally unfamiliar with him and was playing behind another act at the Towaco Jazz & Blues Festival in Montville NJ. I was hanging around after finishing my gig and Deacon John closed the show. MAN! NICE SHOW!

It was New Orleans good timey R&B and jump blues. Now and then the Deacon would grab a guitar and do some straight blues such as Elmore James,.etc, but for the most part it was 50s New Orleans R & B...or Rock and Roll as it was called at THAT Time. Shirley & Lee....Huey Smith...that kind of thing.

Anybody else hear this guy? He's not a young cat - he's definitely a veteran !

• 2 weeks later...

Harold, I grew up in New Orleans, and Deacon John and the Ivories were regulars at our high school dances.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoyed him. I have an album he made about '91, and if you'd like to trade for it I'm open to suggestions. PM me!

I saw him at the '91 New Orleans Jazzfest, and the crowd loved him, although maybe the feelings were more sentimental than musical, but since you liked him too more than ten years later I guess he offers something to those in the market!