Anybody Need A New Guitar?

Sundog

I've always believed that if you truly want to invest in something, rather than playing the stock market, buy a hand-made guitar from a well-known luther.  That guitar is about $4k now, but what would it be in 20 years?  A lot more than that.

A buddy of mine's brother was a marginally successful session player in Nashville during the 90's. He played on a few big name records including one for Dolly Parton, and on hundreds of others for lesser known acts. As a sideline to generate extra cash he became a guitar broker. Since he was essentially in the music scene already, as a somewhat known player, he had a decided advantage over other brokers.

What started out as a way to generate a little cash now and then quickly became a six-figure a year source of income. But wait, it actually gets better...

So after about three years of "slinging" guitars to country "stars" my buddy's brother had built up a substantial amount of cash. Although he had made a small fortune as a broker, he felt that the market for this sort of thing couldn't be sustained forever, so he decided to take his money and get into real estate. He bought about a half dozen 50 acre plots at various locations on the outskirts of Nashville figuring it was a good hedge against a major economic down turn.

Well, a couple years pass, and country music really begins to take off and find a younger, larger, audience than ever before. And what do all these young successful musicians want the minute they make it big? Why a little "hobby" farm in the country of course! Needless to say my buddy's brother made out quite well selling off all but one of his plots. He kept one for himself and built his dream house on it. His very large fenced in backyard sports fence posts that are made from Telecaster neck/headstocks. A little gawdy for my tastes, but I like the sentiment!

On a related tangent to the original story.....

So every once in a while my buddy would get a guitar sent to him from his brother for purposes of selling it to someone in the Chicagoland market. One time he received this beautifully tattered 52-Tele. I was lucky enough to play it a number of times. I seriously considered buying it but ultimately decided against it. The market for Tele's was through the roof at this point in time and my "friend of the family" discount was just under $7000. Anyway, after about six weeks, my buddy gets a call from his brother saying that some big rock star is in town looking for a 52-Tele. So back the Tele goes to Nashville for an audition with this "big" rock star. It turns out some guy named Joe Satriani bought "my" Tele. The bastard! :lol: