Biggest musical sellouts

Chrome

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think of this line of [insert noun here]?

--eric

To me, the "sellout" part comes from the singer/group/whatever making a big deal about his/her artistic integrity, etc., and THEN letting a song be used in a commercial. It's the hypocrisy angle I don't like.

Aw, come on Jim: Duke and Abacab may not be vintage Genesis, but they're still pretty tight records nonetheless. Nothing to make you forget Gabriel was in the group, I'll give you that.

I think Genesis officially died when that Invisible Touch crap came out, complete with the aforementioned ready-made beer-commercial "Tonight (x3)"

There are some good moments on both of those records, for sure, but with the release of Duke, Collin's songwriting became more and more dominant with each record and soon led to albums like Invisible Touch.

Of course, who could blame them? They'd been together for over a decade and never really had a hit and then Phil goes and does a solo record and BAM the thing explodes.

I like Phil's first two or three solo records. After that, meh. Lately his output is just plain sad.

You got THAT right! I think I see your original point, that the band "Genesis" died and became Phil Collins solo vehicle. In any event, the string of albums that encompasses Duke, Face Value, and for the most part Abacab is pretty damn near brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

First post in months.....

I read all the posts to this thread, and I was surprised that no one mentioned "Tangerine" being recast as "Figurines". Of course, this is probably considered a marginal standard, but it is a great blowing tune.

I think it was 1979 or '80 when the diet bar hijacked that song. Oh well, I guess I am dating myself by admitting I remember when it happened!

Sangrey...I know you remember. We were in college at the same time. :blink: