Acoustic Jazz Guitar..and a ? for Jim R

P.D.

Something you don’t get a lot of. Since Charlie Christian received B. G.’s blessing and Les Paul took a solid piece of wood to new heights, the use of the acoustic guitar in jazz has been relatively obscure.

Charlie Byrd was it’s main champion for just about all of his career. And those pesky MTV- ites amazed the rockers with their “ Unplugged” sets.. none really that great.

I have a friend who is a brilliant guitar player, had a reasonably successful time in the Rock world up and down the west coast, and today could be making good money in the local clubs if he hadn’t suddenly decided that he “really” wanted to play the guitar and turned to jazz.. he stops by frequently to listen to jazz from my collection.. I Love warping younger minds.. all jazz.. not just guitarists.. but obviously the latter take prime place.

I spend a lot of time looking for “new” musicians that he might find interesting

Which brings me to Jim R.. the boards chief supporter and promoter of Louis Stewart..

Jim gave me some recommendations for recordings that I could pass on to my friend.

Took a long time to get these Jim.. the Jardis ones, but about a year after my order they showed up at my PO box.

Played the quartets.. nice, but didn’t make me stop other things I was doing

Last night, slipped the Louis Stewart / Martin Taylor Acoustic duets in the player, turned off the lights a prepared to doze off to some pleasant music.

The cd opens with Pick Yourself Up , starts out with a pleasant rendition of the theme.. but then they get into it and hell it burns.. an almost 10 min version of Morning of the Carnival follows … same thing a relatively sedate, but exquisitely played thematic statement and then watch out!!!!!

By the time they get into Billie’s Bounce, the fourth track out of 10 total it’s apparent that this is not music to fade out to never never land by…

Apparently this track was absent from the LP ( I hope Jim R has the CD )

I stayed up all night listening to this thing..

It also became totally apparent that these two have taken acoustic jazz guitar, in a duet format to new heights.. and it was recorded about 20 years ago!!!!!!!

The rhythm playing behind the soloists as they each take their turn is a lesson in the art of accompaniment

The solos are not deliberate exhibitions of technique either, although the abilities displayed have a tendency to be jaw dropping

So the question for Jim R is can he identify the solo sequences for me…?

I am not familiar enough with either of the musicians to pick out favourite phrases etc… I actually don’t think that either of them are dropping cliches during any of these performances..

Also one of the rhythm guitarists plays some heavy bass lines.. it almost sounds like a trio record.. I’m assuming that , that is Taylor on a 7 string at least ( My friend is currently honing his 7 string skills…this will blow him away )

Guitarists and / or lovers of seriously well played improvisational; music that swings like crazy should go get this CD.. but

beware.. it may have a Bennedetti effect on you plugged in guitar shredder wannabees…..

be aware of Louis Stewart.. and Martin Taylor...

Got to give a closer listen to those quartets .. if I can ever get this Duet disc out of the player....

Edited by P.D.

Are you talking about an acoustic guitar or classical guitar?

There is a difference. Charlie Byrd played on classical guitar and he also played classical music – great musician IMHO though many of his jazz albums are more fun and entertainment and not too deep or thoughtful.

Ralph Towner is probably the most interesting and creative jazzman and composer on classical guitar.

I also recommend a new guitarist Ferenc Snetberger who really improvises on the classical guitar (which is a hard task considering the small number of his colleagues).

Are you talking about an acoustic guitar or classical guitar?

There is a difference.

When someone uses the term "acoustic guitar", it doesn't always necessarily refer to a flattop steel string guitar. The traditional (pre-electronic) "classical" guitar is also an "acoustic" guitar, as is an archtop without any pickup(s). In the jazz context, "acoustic jazz guitar" often refers to an archtop (though of course not always).

Though I'm not 100% sure, this may have been taken at the July, '85 session in question:

stewart%20in%20studio.jpg

Louis is holding his (acoustic) L7C (which had a floating pickup); and I think Martin's guitar is an (acoustic) archtop made by the american luthier Bill Barker.

P.D., let me pull out that disc, and I'll return later to answer your question (I hope... keep your fingers crossed ;)).

Okay, I gave the CD a spin (thanks, BTW- it had been awhile!). The first thing that struck me was that Martin had a better guitar. B-) On that day, at least. Louis was getting quite a bit of string buzz (not the kind of buzz you want to get from playing a session like this).

I listened on my computer, and Louis was on the left channel all the way, Martin on the right (your results may vary, depending on how good each of us is at plugging in our speakers properly :g). At any rate, once you figure out who's coming out of what speaker, you've got it made, I think.

Here's the breakdown:

1. Pick yourself up: Martin states the main melody; Louis the bridge melody; Martin solos first.

2. Morning of the carnival: Martin states the melody and solos first.

3. Jive at five: ditto #2.

4. Billie's bounce: Martin solos first.

5. Coming through the rye: Martin plays the melody and takes the "lead".

6. Cherokee: Martin opens with a solo type arrangement (including walking bass) while Louis plays single line fills. Louis takes the first solo.

7. Stompin' at the savoy: Louis takes the first solo.

8. Darn that dream: Martin plays the intro; Louis states the melody; Martin restates the melody with some added improv; Louis solos; Martin solos.

9. Bernie's tune: Unison playing on the melody; Louis takes bridge melody; Louis solos first.

10. Farewell to Erin: Martin plays only rhythm on this. He gets so into it, he keeps on going when Louis tries to end the tune at about the 3:05 mark. ^_^

IMO, this is about as good as it gets for Martin. He became known primarily for his tremendous technique as a solo guitarist (his early tour de force LP "A Tribute to Art Tatum" being the eye-opener for many of us). Unfortunately, so many of his solo arrangements became close to "rote" as the years went on. He's great at that, but it gets a bit tiresome. On this recording, he shows off more of his single string skill, and his rhythm playing. He has a certain "soulful" style of "singing" on his solos that I find very appealing, but in small doses.

Louis plays very well on this recording, but his sound hampers him (at least to my ears). I generally prefer amplified archtops anyway, but there's also something about this pairing (the intense cutting session atmosphere) that doesn't really allow Louis to "breathe" the way I like. It's good, though. Louis can shine in just about any setting... and I've heard him in many different settings.

P.D., did you order directly from Jardis? (that's in Germany, for those who may not know) I've never tried ordering from the label (Heiner Franz), but my service from Cadence has always been pretty good...

Thanks Jim..actually I orded from Stewarts site.. thought I'd direct the cash straight to him. I think they may have run out and had been waiting on a new pressing.

Doesn't matter.. this is directed as a Christmas present now

I gave my friend the HEP " Overdrive" which he liked a lot..

This I think, I hope, will be exactly what he is looking for..

my "aural " experience seemed to tally tour listing. about 80% of the time, based mainly on the 7 string involvement.

I only had one other Taylor, one my friend dropped off, and other than his apearances on other albums.. ( that BG thing that started our exchanges) and Tubby Hayes 200% Proof, had no Stewart.. noe there are 5 CDs of his on my shelves.... migrating to the player often.. Louis owes you, I thank you..

but this acoustic set is an eye opener.. as I stated above..

People need to be aware of it

Thanks again Jim

Christy Doran played purely accoustic (classical, I think) guitar recently at Jazzfestival Willisau with Swiss bassist Heiri Känzig's group (he played bass with the Vienna Art Orchestra in the eighties), featuring a swiss drummer (Fabian Kuratli) and a third string player, Mark Feldman. Quite nice stuff!

Wolfgang Muthspiel is another great guitarist playing accoustic, at least occasionally. I heard a live recording of his with the string trio Triology (two violins, a viola, I remember right) and then found the CD they did together (released on Muthspiel's own label). Nice stuff.

ubu

This is a bit off topic but since Wolfgang Muthspiel was mentioned: there is a great album by Paul Motian EBBB called: "Reincarnation of a love bird". Wolfgang is teamed with Kurt Rosenwinkel and their playing sounds mutually inspired. The same goes for the rest of the team, which includes Chris Potter and Chris Creek on tenors, Don Alias and Steve Swallow in the rhythm section.

mot2.JPG

mot3.JPG

mot1.JPG