New Ted Nash on Palmetto

Big Wheel

This is a particularly curious release in light of our recent Wynton polls. Nash sticks to tenor on this one, titled "Still Evolved". Rhythm section is the very un-LCJO group of Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison, Matt Wilson. Wynton plays on half, with Marcus Printup sharing the trumpet duties. The compositions are quirky, and Marsalis's playing is a bit left of center--reminds me somewhat of his work on "Black Codes." Printup plays on the bluesier tunes, while Marsalis is on the more modal tunes.

Overall, pretty good stuff IMO. The sound is pretty nice too, with Allison's bass particularly well captured.

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail--glad to hear the positive review. In general, I like what the Jazz COmposer Collective is doing. It seems to me that too many new releases are bogged down by weak themes that are just blowing vehicles. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but there's a freshness to the stuff from Ben Allison etc that I really like.

I did a double take when I saw WM name on this. The Jazz Composers Collective on Palmetto......with Wynton? Not surprised to Marcus Printup with this group. I agree, after a short listen the music is good - quirky but then it's Ted Nash and the JCC. And I have to say that I'm glad these guys invited Wynton to be in the project.

Well, it perhaps shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Wynton was on Ted's 1999 album Rhyme and Reason, which also featured Kimbrough and Alison (as well as some of Wynton's best playing in a long time, I might add). I don't think Wynton's playing on this one is enough to win over the Wynton haters, (nothing would) but if you're on the fence and liked his Black Codes era things, and his occasional guest spots, like on Citizen Tain, this is certainly one to put on your list.

I saw the LCJO in concert last month and Nash and Marsalis were featured in a sextet playing some New Orleans tunes. They seemed like old friends to me which they probably are since Nash has been with the LCJO for awhile.

Hearing Wynton in a different context makes one wonder what may be in store now that he's signed with Blue Note.

BTW, I really like Ted Nash's last album, Sidewalk Meeting. His version of Ellington's Amad swings like crazy..with a tuba and an accordian in the band!

Yeah, Sidewalk Meeting is one of my favourites from the last few years. We tried to get this group to Europe, but it seems US-agencies just are working with household names and it's difficult to involve them in working out tours for more obscure groups.

Matt Wilson has some very interesting things to say about Wynton's participation on this album in the recent issue of CMJ. Bascially he says he's become a Wynton fan, especially after his playing on the record. He also has high praise for his work as an educator. I'll give you the exact quotes tomorrow. Matt also mentions he's working on a project with Dewey Redman, Joshua Redman, and Charlie Haden!!!

• 2 years later...

Joe M — what did Matt Wilson say?

Heard this for the first time just recently. I think I actually like it best for Wynton's playing — which, while still emotionally reserved to my ears — indicates that the guy really can play just about anything he wants to. (Lester Bowie said something like: "If you could just take Wyton's chops and my ideas — damn!") I can't say I'm crazy about Nash, but he certainly puts forth more than a solid effort.

Ted has a new Still Evolved group (w/Marcus Printup, Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison, Matt Wilson) CD in the can - it should be available in August or September, on Palmetto.

Great news! Loved the first one.

Indeed. And it's great to hear from Frank Kimbrough here on Organissimo - love your stuff, Frank!

Uh oh. this is post 666 for me... :rfr

Edited by gdogus