-
Posts
5,353 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Blogs
Everything posted by Late
-
Brändli did really good work with this set. Adrian Rollini in particular benefits from this new remaster. John R.T. Davies this is not, but it's still a valid approach.
-
For those familiar with the 1969 tour, what are your favorite gigs? This band was on FIRE.
-
Okay, Hank's solo on "All of You" from Friday night is pretty tight as well. I've been listening most closely to Miles this whole time, and now I think I may have to revise my assessment of Hank's contribution. Nevertheless, I think this might be an undervalued period in Miles' discography. (Still want to hear him, circa 1961, with Wes!)
-
Correction: Mobley's hitting for "Well, You Needn't." A swingin' solo.
-
Louis Armstrong in NY 1924-25 Mosaic
Late replied to ghost of miles's topic in Mosaic and other box sets...
Ordered. The sound samples broke me down + the preorder discount. I'm especially excited about the Fletcher Henderson tracks in improved sound and all together. -
Were it not for The Heat Warps, I would've missed out on so much. I wonder if Werner is dipping his toe in there. I'm becoming a convert to Brändli's work.
-
I've spent a lot of time with the Blackhawk recordings this summer, spinning all four discs I don't even know how many times. The whole live date (two nights) has really grown on me. The highlight (for me) is Miles. His solos are incisive and often surprising—top form for what he was doing in 1961. Like most here, I love Mobley, but I don't think he's hitting on all cylinders here. There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with his solos, they're just not as focused or inspired as they were elsewhere. Listen to the Carnegie Hall concert, as an example—he's hitting on ALL cylinders there; excellent Hank. Also (back to The Blackhawk), notice that when Miles finishes his solo and Hank steps up to the microphone, Jimmy Cobb ups the volume (this happens more than once) as if to spur Hank on. I really like these live recordings. I do often fantasize about a frontline with Miles and Wes Montgomery—especially for this 1961 gig. I think Wes may have provided the fire that Miles needed.
-
Looks like Savoy stuff. Fats And Blue Note stuff. If Werner is gonna run a bootleg label, I wish he'd get more bootlegy—meaning, stuff that's harder to source.
-
Sonny Clark - The Art of the Trio (Tone Poet Series)
Late replied to dougcrates's topic in Re-issues
Same. I'd still be tempted by a CD issue though. Nice cover too. -
Thoughts on Mobley's contribution to the Davis Blackhawk recordings?
-
Henry Grimes, Marzette Watts, and Fats Navarro forthcoming.
-
The Rotterdam concert on this 2-disc set sounds amazing (for a bootleg). Shorter is at the apex of free. review
-
Listening to Disc 2 of this set tonight. The (non-LP) tracks that haven't been remastered to death sound REALLY good. I will go on record stating that I now think this is the definitive (sonic) version of this live session. Everything is so present. Kevin Gray nailed it.
-
Anyone pick up this newly reissued set on CD? I've now owned these recordings in five different incarnations: McMaster, RVG, Japanese RVG, Japanese TYCJ, and now this Kevin Gray-remastered set. I have to say, this reissue sounds the best to me. Very balanced with seemingly no compression. The RVG of this set (with an entirely different playing order) doesn't sound bad to me, but this new reissue, in detailed mono, sounds like you're at The Cafe Bohemia. Edgehill's drums in particular sound cleaner and more precise. But never mind quibbling about sonics or favorite editions—the music is fantastic. I love how Kenny plays (and announces) "Autumn In New York." And dig the new photos! Especially the tray card photo of JR Monterose:
-
I don't have all of Zoot's output on Pablo (missing the Ellington and Lady Day albums + the Harry Edison collab and probably some others), but his playing, as always, was very consistent for the label. That said, my own (entirely subjective) ranking would go something like this: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12.
-
A complete Pablo Recordings of Zoot Sims on Mosaic would be great. (But will very likely never happen.)
-
Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?
Late replied to Soulstation1's topic in Mosaic and other box sets...
-
1936-1941 Decca sides. An essential compilation, I'd say.
-
Just discovered that Smokin' was reissued in the U.S. in 1985 on Roulette. Weird. Right here. Anyone here happen to have this compact disc edition?? Oh—the newly reissued LP set (above) has dropped in price. It's now around $120 on eBay.
_forumlogo.png.a607ef20a6e0c299ab2aa6443aa1f32e.png)