dizzy's "bahiana"

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

does anyone own this session? i just got the CD reissue. i am curious what is missing from the last track "olinga" since it has been cut down by almost half....

but do people like this session? it is weird. i can't tell if i like it.

it is sort of like a tamer "kofi" or "electric byrd" sort of....

mickey roker sounds great on this one and the twin guitar attack is cool...

but i can't tell if this is a good session or a mess or mediocre or what....

this album might actually fit in that post i made a while ago about "not your run of the mill albums by artists".

Have had the Pablo vinyl of this since it came out. Have always enjoyed it - great groove and very well recorded. Has not been played in recent years though so I'll make amands and give it a spin. Incidentally, wasn't there another Dizzy 'Pablo Live' double from this vintage? Can't recall the title but I remember seeing one in red vinyl !

I think this is not only fine music but almost a exact example of the music that Dizzy was playing live ( except for the flute) and I really dug this group with Al Gafa.

This is NOT the commercial music that was on the 'Dizzy's Party' record. but has those great Al Gafa songs like 'Barcelona' and 'The Land Of The Living Dead', not to mention Dizzy's '

Olinga', which was a SERIOUS and spirtiual song to him ( maybe the flute solo has been edited out of the cd version).

By the way, Al Gafa's 'Leblon Beach', also on Pablo, is really fine and not released on cd.