The Necks

John B

The Necks are an Australian group that tends to get filed under “jazz,” but I’m not really sure they fit into any one genre. The group is comprised of pianist Chris Abrahams, bassist Lloyd Swanton and drummer Tony Buck. Their music is very repetitive and tracnce-like, with tracks leaning towards the hour-ling range.

According to AMG: “They usually start playing a very basic melodic and rhythmic figure, and then keep going at it for an hour, gradually introducing microscopic changes and variations. Some critics have compared them to Krautrock groups like Can and Faust. Others find similarities in the works of minimalist composers like LaMonte Young, Tony Conrad, even Philip Glass.”

I’m not sure I agree with those comparisons 100%, but they work as reference points.

I’ve only heard two of their albums: Sex, which is their first album, and by far the “jazzier” of the two, and Aether, which is much more recent. I have found both albums to be transcendental, and Aether, in particular, is stunning. Definitely not a band for everyone’s tastes but, if you have an open mind and don’t mind a lack of swing, I highly recommend giving this band a listen.

I'm going to be looking to buy their live box set and their album Aquatic very soon.

How does it compare to Anthony Braxton's Ghost music?

BTW:

LaMonte Young

He uses a space in his name: La Monte Young.

No idea, I've never heard any of his GTM. Is there one release you would recommend trying first?

Blame AMG for the mis-spell, that's a cut and paste job off of their site.

I don't like the Ghost Trance music enough to recommend anything! Check the Braxton thread in the Artist folder.

Now that I read your post again, I'd say probablly not. Ghost Trance music is repetitive but it's still jazz.

On the other hand.....maybe the necks could sound like GTM. I should head over to DMG and get them to play me some Necks.

Saw the Necks live three years ago. A terrific concert! I had a CD from a friend once, but that was before I was able to burn CDRs, so there's nothing in my collection. Live I would go and see/hear them anytime again, though!

are you getting weekends off? I didn't expect to see you back hear for a few weeks. I'm listening to the live Supersilent disc right now, very nice!

Saw the Necks live three years ago. A terrific concert! I had a CD from a friend once, but that was before I was able to burn CDRs, so there's nothing in my collection. Live I would go and see/hear them anytime again, though!

are you getting weekends off? I didn't expect to see you back hear for a few weeks. I'm listening to the live Supersilent disc right now, very nice!

The Necks played that same festival the Supersilent concert comes from.