Sam Rivers Starts His UK Tour

sidewinder

Short snippet of Sam Rivers and trio playing live on the Radio 4 'Loose Ends' programme tonight. Saxophone trio performance with Sam on soprano, not sure what the tune was. Sounded absolutely wonderful !

A good omen for the UK tour, which starts in Birmingham tonight then a load of gigs across the country culminating in London next weekend.

I have tickets for Bath (Wednesday) and Southampton (Friday).

:g :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

The London date is the final one, Adam, and its on Sat 13th Nov. It's at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which is part of the South Bank Royal Festival Hall complex not far from Embankment station. Contact details are www.rfh.org.uk or tel: 08703 800 400.

Full itinery Sam Rivers Trio plus Rivbea Orchestra UK:

Sat 6 Nov - Birmingham CBSO Centre

Sun 7th Nov - Brighton Concert Hall

Tues 9th Nov - Leeds, Wardrobe

Wed 10th Nov - Bath, Michael Tippett Centre ( :excited: )

Thurs 11th Nov - Manchester RNCM

Fri 12th Nov - Southampton, Turner Sims Concert Hall ( :excited: )

Sat 13th Nov, London QEH

Edited by sidewinder

Ah, c'est la vie, but I have seen his trio in L.A.  Anything else going on in London those days? 

This years Jazz festival is just about to begin.

LJF%20logo.jpg

http://www.serious.org.uk/index2.cfm?refid...tmpt3&tmptID=42

In ten days there’s a wealth of premieres, commissions, collaborations and new talent, along with a celebration of the jazz tradition. This year features a plethora of events dedicated to inspirational artists of the past - Jelly Roll Morton, Dizzy Gillespie, Tony Williams, Sun Ra – alongside some key figures that have shaped the course of jazz - Sam Rivers, Cecil Taylor, Tony Oxley, Bill Dixon, Anthony Braxton, Sunny Murray, the Ganelin Trio, Jack DeJohnette and Lennie Niehaus. Looking forward, the Festival concentrates on cutting edge talent from the global jazz scene. Vijay Iyer, Mike Ladd and Enrico Pieranunzi play their first UK gigs; plus new projects from Matthew Bourne, Nitin Sawhney & Britten Sinfonia, Carla Bley, the Future Sounds of Jazz, Dhafer Yousef, Matthew Herbert, F-IRE and Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield & Larry Goldings.

A mass of new work and collaborations can be heard in the clubs and extensive PizzaExpress FreeStage programme. The Festival also strikes out to new venues, with the Wigmore Hall, the Arts Depot, The Royal Academy of Arts and Wapping Project included for the first time.

As well as dozens of concerts across some of London’s major concert halls, the Festival celebrates the clubs and independent producers that keep the flame burning year round. Jamie Cullum certainly hasn’t forgotten the importance of the clubs where he started. Last year’s massively sold out Royal Festival Hall concert lit the blue touch paper on a stellar career, but for the Festival he’s returning to his roots, playing the jazz clubs where he cut his musical teeth

Edited by Gary

Caught the show on Tuesday night in Leeds. It was absolutely phenomenal. First set was just his trio. They began with a free improvisation which reminded me a lot of 'Tutankhamun' (I think) from the AEOC's 'Tribute to Lester' album; not that Rivers isn't anything other than totally original, just that that was the soundworld it came from for me. He played a couple of numbers each on soprano, tenor, and flute. He had extraordinary fire; I won't add 'considering his age', because if I'd had my eyes closed, there was absolutely no intimation at all that he was so old.

He was also refreshingly down to earth in-between numbers: absolutely no pretence of taking himself too seriously, which I guess must be fairly common when playing such 'heavy' music! But when he played...he was almost trance-like in his concentration.

The other two were fantastic also. Anthony Cole is a great showman, not to mention a formidable drummer: and musical, above all else. I was also impressed by his tenor playing: the moments when he and Doug Matthews picked up their horns to join Rivers in a wind trio were frequently astounding, and rarely less then gripping.

Matthews played mostly upright, although picked up his electric for some monster funk in their last number of the set. His solo feature (which he took on upright) was beatiful - musical, rather than the technical masterclass which it could have been. His bass clarinet playing was also interesting: he got some really interesting squawks and squeaks from it, as well as possessing a really nice, deep tone.

For the second set, the trio was joined by an all-star UK big band. For me, saxophonists Jason Yarde and Pete Wareham were definite highlights as soloists, although everyone seemed inspired. I think it's one of the great aspects of big band playing, that the relatively short and scarce solo space forces soloists into more concise, concentrated statements, and away from vacuousness and repetition.

The arrangements were fascinating as well. Each of the four pieces I suppose might be best described as 'free funk'. The voicings of the horns were marvellous. I also liked very much the way he varied textures so subtly - the composition of one of the pieces - 'Tapestry' reflects this very nicely, I think.

Anyway, highly recommended to anyone who can catch the band!

p.s. how was the Bath show?

It was absolutely brilliant.The first part was Sam Rivers with Doug Matthews and Anthony Cole. For the second part, they were joined by the big band Rivbea Orchestra UK.I was amazed at Sam Rivers' playing.The guy is so talented not only on the sax but on the piano.He played a wonderful piano solo I can't remember the title of.Doug Matthews (bass) and Anthony Cole (drums) were in top form too.What an evening!! I really enjoyed the big band session even if I am usually not fond of big band stuff.A lot of energy, great play and a great atmosphere.Sam Rivers seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.Great sense of humour too!I can't believe the guy is 81. :wub::wub:

It was intriguing to see Rivers' solo feature on piano at Bath. Didn't even know he featured it. The trio kicked off with an amazing driving number ('Intuition'?) which sounded to me almost like something off of 'Dimensions and Extensions'. Absolutely brilliant - gobsmacking even. The big band performance in the second half was also great - the Observer review summed it up I think quite well by comparing it with a fusion of Buddy Rich and Sun Ra plus Rivers' unique concept. Sitting near the front I was fascinated to see how Sam directed the band and cued in the various soloists.

I wonder just how many versions of the 'Pulsar' series he has in the book ?

Tonight it's more of the same down at Turner Sims in Southampton. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Sitting near the front I was fascinated to see how Sam directed the band and cued in the various soloists.

I was lucky with my seat too - got the performance time wrong by 45 minutes, so got pretty much my choice. Took the punt that the big band sound might not be brilliant if I sat very close to the stage, but in the knowledge that I could see and hear everything going on, especially in the trio set. As it was, the big band sound was fantastic as well!

Another fine performance last night at Turner Sims and great to meet up with fellow board members JohnS and Gary. Sam did pretty well the same set of material as at Bath on Wednesday but with one trio bonus number in the form of 'Beatrice'. Talking briefly to Doug Mathews afterwards it looks like this was the only performance of this tune so far on the tour. Doug also confirmed that the big band had had one full day and two half days of rehearsal prior to first gig.

Sam especially fine on tenor last night - I always think that it is a mark of the greats that their instrumental sound is totally distinctive, unlike anyone else in jazz. Tenor, soprano and flute were all heavily featured again, plus the piano feature which started off as a ballad and morphed into an exciting and driving free-form trio 'a la Cecil'. Incredible !

I lucked in afterwards by getting the chance to meet Sam just as he was packing away his various instruments. Smashing guy, he was gracious enough to sign my BN LPs and the Mosaic booklet. It was obvious from what he was saying that he personally holds the BN sessions dear to his heart. Hope he and the band are back in the UK soon (next gigs apparently are at their usual location in Orlando).

Edited by sidewinder

It was intriguing to see Rivers' solo feature on piano at Bath. Didn't even know he featured it. The trio kicked off with an amazing driving number ('Intuition'?) which sounded to me almost like something off of 'Dimensions and Extensions'. Absolutely brilliant - gobsmacking even. The big band performance in the second half was also great - the Observer review summed it up I think quite well by comparing it with a fusion of Buddy Rich and Sun Ra plus Rivers' unique concept. Sitting near the front I was fascinated to see how Sam directed the band and cued in the various soloists.

I wonder just how many versions of the 'Pulsar' series he has in the book ?

Tonight it's more of the same down at Turner Sims in Southampton.  :)

;) I was in the third or fourth row right in the centre.You must have been very close to me then.I had never been to the Michael Tippett centre before.It is a nice venue, the perfect size for a concert like this one and the acoustic is pretty good.Do you know if they often organise jazz events or was it a one off?

Edited by ASNL77

You must have been right behind me ! A bit late before the gig to hook up and say hello, too bad...

Great acoustics for the big band in particular - I was impressed. I don't think the Tippett Centre does jazz gigs too often, something like once per season is my understanding. Yes, I agree - a nice venue in a spectacular rural location. I had a bit of trouble finding it though, doing endless searches of the hamlet of Newton St. Loe before I had exhausted all of the options off the hedgerow lanes. Didn't realise it was just outside. ;)

Edited by sidewinder

"Beatrice" was the highspot for me.

Here's a photo I took during the Southampton gig, this one isn't too spoiled by camera shake.  Drummer Anthony Cole is the tenor player.

Hey John , that photo makes Sam look further away from what I remember! :D

What a great show . There was loads I really enjoyed , the trio came on and as the first piece was being played i remember thinking ' I NEED this tune in my life' only for Sam to announce at the end of it someting along the lines of ' that was called Impromtu , we just made that up on the spot & now that musics gone never to be heard again.'

There was some nice piano playing from Sam weaving from melodic & free . Later Anthony Cole played a nice tune on the piano.

When all 3 played with horns was a stand out moment for me . A really great trio.

The big band was really powerful with some great soloing throughout & nice to see some of the top young guys in Britsh jazz.