Portrait of Shorty

Jim R

I was just entering some data into my database, and as I sometimes do in order to save me some typing, I tried a Google search for a discography of this Rogers recording. The link I selected was a review at AAJ:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r1299_137.htm

Edison is listed in the personnel (which seems to be otherwise complete and correct) as being in the trumpet section for all four of the tracks from the first of the two sessions (July 15, 1957); AND he is mentioned in the review as being a sideman on this. The booklet that came with my BMG/RCA CD issue credits Bruyninckx as their source, and does not mention Edison anywhere (properly, I would think). Did this reviewer take his data from AMG, or...?

I have the RCA Victor vinyl of Portrait of Shorty, dated 1958. Recording dates are not cited. Just to be sure we're talking about the same material, the album to which I refer is detailed here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:xpez97wjkr0t

Harry "Sweets" Edison is not listed among the personnel. In addition to Shorty, five trumpets are listed: Al Porcino, Conrad Gozzo, Don Fagerquist, Conte Candoli, and Pete Candoli.

Thanks. That is of course the same recording that is discussed in the review I linked. I hadn't bothered to look at AMG's data. I don't use AMG for discographical purposes, which is why I used Google to look for info on this session. Unless somebody has an explanation as to why Edison was so clearly and specifically (even indicating which tracks he appeared on) referenced in that review, I'll just go ahead and assume that the reviewer got his wires crossed somehow. As far as I'm concerned, the chances are probably better than 50/50 that his error came from AMG in the first place (the review dates back a few years).

Harry Edison played on several RCA sessions by Shorty Rogers. He plays and is listed among the personnel on the 'Shorty Rogers Courts The Count' (RCA LJM1004) album. He is also on four of the tracks from 'The Big Shorty Rogers Express'(RCA LPM-1350) although his name does not appear there. The four tracks from this LP with Edison include 'At Home with Sweets' and 'Blues Express'. Edison was under contract with Verve at the time, which might explain his anonymous status. On that same album there is one alto sax players listed as Art Salt! Salt makes a rare appearance on tenor on 'Sweetheart of Sigmund Freud' on this album. Salt was under contract with Contemporary then.

Jim R,

I have a 1999 BMG cd issue of Portrait and it DOES list Sweets as being in the trumpet section on four tunes. They are Saturian Sleigh Ride, The Line Backer, Play! Boy and A Geophysical Ear. He does not solo on any of the songs.

I think Brownie is right that he is not listed on the RCA album because of contract problems.

Thanks for the info, guys. This is interesting, I just bought a new (sealed) copy of this from Dusty Groove for $3.99. It's a BMG issue (51561-2), and the copyright date on it is 1994. So Bill's copy is apparently newer, and somebody did some research in between the two issues.

I'm surprised, obviously. I would have assumed that somebody goofed by including Edison's name. And I should have known- AMG was wrong again... :rolleyes: