TCM Goes To Bollywood

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Starting tonight at 8PM EST & 5PM PST and playing on every Thursday in June TCM will be showing some of India's most famous films.

For more information you can check here.

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/A...3|,00.html

If you haven't seen a Bollywood film before be warned that no matter Drama, Comedy, Action, etc... an elaborate musical number can burst out at anytime. ;)

One of the films that will be shown later in the month is Mother India, which is India's GWTW.

The first film up tonight is

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (Brave Heart Will Take the Bride), which is the longest running film in India's history. It ran for 5 years on screens.

The other films showing tonight are:

Bombay-This is a Romeo-and-Juliet style story using the backdrop of the religious fighting that broke out between Hindu's and Muslim's in 1992 after Hindu's tore down a 16th century Mosque that led to 900 being killed on both sides. Of course the couple are a Hindu and Muslim and yes as hard as it is to believe considering what happens in the second part of the film several musicals break out in the first part.

A very controversial film in India. The full version has never been shown in Bombay to this day. The director is still getting death threats to this day A good portion of India in fact has not seen the full version of this film.

The last film tonight is

Amar Akbar Anthony, never saw this one myself.

You can find some info about each of the films that will be shown here

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/A...;|,00.html

Edited by Mnytime

I saw "Bombay" tonight and was very affected, impressed, and moved. It shares very little in common with Romeo and Juliet, but it is a very powerful film with an important, compelling, and universal theme about overcoming factional (in this case, religious) differences/conflicts by embracing our common humanity. It transcends its Bollywood trappings, and features fine acting, directing, and storytelling. I even enjoyed most of the music and choreography.

It's very unfortunate that the film's enlightened perspective cannot reach more folks in India. I also fear that it would be dismissed by many in the United States for a variety of superficial or doctrinaire issues.

I saw "Bombay" tonight and was very affected, impressed, and moved. It shares very little in common with Romeo and Juliet, but it is a very powerful film with an important, compelling, and universal theme about overcoming factional (in this case, religious) differences/conflicts by embracing our common humanity. It transcends its Bollywood trappings, and features fine acting, directing, and storytelling. I even enjoyed most of the music and choreography.

It's very unfortunate that the film's enlightened perspective cannot reach more folks in India. I also fear that it would be dismissed by many in the United States for a variety of superficial or doctrinaire issues.

I saw parts of this movie, and have to admit the musical numbers were hard to take....but...when I flipped back, I was quite surprised to see the serious turn of events, and how well it was played out...the ending was quite moving, and well played, I thought( a bit happier than Romeo and Juliet! ;) )...it is a shame that basically telling the truth about the humanity of all sides is too much for some to take.

I saw parts of this movie, and have to admit the musical numbers were hard to take....but...when I flipped back, I was quite surprised to see the serious turn of events, and how well it was played out...the ending was quite moving, and well played, I thought( a bit happier than Romeo and Juliet! ;)  )...it is a shame that basically telling the truth about the humanity of all sides is too much for some to take.

Having sat through most of the previous Bollywood film on TCM, which was a rather lightweight comedy, my wife left the room after the first musical number of "Bombay", because it appeared to be a harbinger of more of the same. But I was intrigued by the fact that "Bombay" has usually been banned or substantially edited in India and addressed some verrry controversial issues there. Also the music and dance started out a bit better than previous film's fare (and improved pretty steadily thereafter). Certain sonorities near the beginning were like from a very Indian version of Milton Nascimento's "Sentinella", an album I am quite fond of. So I was able to hang with the movie for a while till it got more serious, and then I was quite drawn into it.

My wife returned to the room a bit later, after "the serious turn of events" had gotten underway. Needless to say, she stayed through the end of the film.

Something I do to help me get through the rather stylized female vocals, which are my least favorite element, is to imagine the same melodies played through a bansuri flute, vina or violin. It doesn't always suffice, but it worked well for me with "Bombay", because of the larger proportion of traditional Indian musical elements and references in the score.

Edited by SEK

Guest Mnytime

SEK

I have no idea how you don't think it has anything to do with Romeo and Juliet?

As I mentioned when I started this thread a Musical number can burst out at any time no matter how serious the moment.

Another thing Shahrukh Khan the star of the first film that was shown is bigger than Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and any other 10 Hollywood actors combined today in India.

If I didn't know that Bollywood puts out more films than anywhere in the world you would think he was in every film that is made there now. Khan has been in 35 films in the 8 years since the first film shown was made. Most actors in Hollywood today don't do that in a career.

And as big as Khan is in India, Hrithik Roshan is maybe even bigger. And all them are also recording stars that sell tons of records. An obscene amount of money is made in Bollywood. To the point the Indian mafia is all over it.

I wish they would have shown some of the less Bollywood Classic Indian films like the The World of Apu trilogy.

One thing I forgot to mention about Bollywood films. It is very unusual to find one under 3 hrs. So don't expect the usual 90 Hollywood films of today.

Edited by Mnytime

"Bombay" resembles Romeo and Juliet only in that the man and woman want to get together, despite the strong objections of both sets of parents. Beyond that, the story is quite different.

It is not a story of ill-fated young lovers. They don't end up killing themselves or anything like that. Rather, the man soon returns to Bombay to pursue his journalistic career, the woman soon joins him, they get married, have twins, the families reconcile 6 years later, etc.

"Bombay" is a story of reconciliation and hope, initially exemplified by the joining in love and marriage of a Hindu man and Muslim woman, then -after 6 years- enlarges to encompass the reconciliation of their families, and -after intense social and political strife in the streets which is overcome by the simple and direct interventions of several disparate and common people/characters- the story embraces a lovely vision of religious reconcilliation within the Indian nation.

I noticed the inclusion of what appeared to be a kind, homosexual character who saved one of the sons from being trampled by a panicy mob. Clearly, the intent of the writer-director went beyond religious reconciliation to something even more universal. I felt that enlightened perspective building throughout the film.

Guest Mnytime

First off I never said it followed Romeo and Juliet to a T. Romeo and Juliet was used as an outline is what I said. Next I really don't need you to tell me what this film is about.

Also, there was another major thing that seperated these two famlies. They not only had different religions but they where from different Castes. This is India after all. If anything it is more unuusal that a higher caste (the man) would marry a lower caste (the woman) than it is for a Hindu to marry a Muslim.

By what is acceptable in India they had two major things against them. Crossing Castes though is the worse offense of the two actually. Though because of the backdrop of the religious violence the Caste difference was not a issue in this film.

Just as recently as last year a man walking with a woman from a higher caste in some outskirt in India led to the man's sister being gang raped. And this was decreed by that towns elders. All they where doing was walking together never mind getting married.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Another thing different about this film unlike the majority of Bollywood films, which are Hindu made is that it shows that there are good and bad people in both Religions. That the religions have nothing to do with who is good or bad. In the majority of other Bollywood films if there is a bad guy in the film at least 85-90% of the time he will end up being a Muslim if his Religion is mentioned.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Jazzmoose

If you don't have TCM you can always look at your local Video store. Even Blockbuster sometimes carries a few in their Foreign film section.

Even if they won't have any Bollywood Films most will have at least one if not all 3 of the Apu trilogy by Satyajit Ray who is considered one of the best Indian directors if not the best.

They are

Pather Panchali

Aparajito

The World of Apu

Be warned these are dramas and no musicial will break out but they are some of the best foreign films you will ever come across.

If you come across any film by Ray do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Another Indian non Bollywood film I can highly recommend is "Salaam Bombay!". It really an excellent film though depressing as hell just like the Apu films.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Well I did say that some Blockbusters carry Bollywood films in the Foreign film section. I would also check some of the Non-Major rental stores. If you have a large Indian population in your area you should be able to find many Bollywood films.

One film you should be able to find in Blockbuster is "Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India", which is a fictionilized film on how Indians came to take up Cricket. Highly Elaborate Musical's break out even in the middle of Cricket. Be warned though it is close to 4hrs.

The British are the bad guys on the whole in this one. Of course since this is a Hindu Bollywood film the lone bad Indian character is of course Muslim.

An interesting factoid Aamir Khan star of Lagaan and his wife like in the film "Bombay" had to elope. Though in this case he was the Muslim and she the Hindu. He is one of the 3 Khans that are huge in India. Though none of them are related.

Edited by Mnytime

Next I really don't need you to tell me what this film is about.

I was just sharing my enthusiasm for the film (It profoundly moved me!). I also wanted to try to demonstrate why the Romeo and Juliet comparison is not very salient to me and to show what I think are the most prominent themes in "Bombay".

Mnytime, I meant no disrespect to you or to your points of view. I appreciate your starting this thread and your contributions to this and other discussions.

Guest Mnytime

SEK

I am sorry I got so grumpy. Of course their are more important themes in the film. I was only giving the Romeo and Juliet as a frame of reference to get peoples interest into watching. Since later on it does get so serious.

Guest Mnytime

TCM has been advertising a new CD release for anyone interested in getting some of Bollywood's more famous songs on CD. It's a comp of the best of Bollywood. Though I don't know how far back in Bollywood history it goes. It appears to be a single CD.

I haven't checked but you most likely can pick it up through TCM's online site.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Tomorrow's (6-12-03) Bollywood Films

Rangeela-42nd Street meets Bollywood, so you know there is going to be a lot of musical numbers bursting out. It stars Aamir Khan the star of Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India. It was nominated for the 2002 Oscar for Best Foreign Film. 5pm PST, 8pm EST 2hrs 24 mins

Dil Chahta Hai-Swingers meets Bollywood. Haven't seen this one. 7:30pm PST, 10:30pm EST 3hrs 4mins

Sholay-Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns meets Greese meets Bollywood. India's first 70mm film. Has to be seen to be believed. ;) 11pm PST, 2am EST 2hrs 43mins

Guest Mnytime

Bollywood Night Once Again

Tonight's Films are old school Bollywood

Pakeezah-Some consider this one of the top 5 Bollywood Films.

From TCM:

Pakeezah (Pure Heart 1971) tells the story of a North Indian courtesan who dies of sorrow after being rejected by her husband’s family; and of her grown daughter who, years later, threatens to repeat her mother’s sad history. Over 10 years in the making, the movie is a cinematic tribute by the director Kamal Amrohi to its star, his actress wife, Meena Kumari, who takes on the dual role of both mother and daughter. Kumari, a tragedienne with a lyrical voice, was plagued by alcoholism and died shortly after Pakeezah was completed. 8PM EST, 5PM PST 2hrs 27mins

Junglee-another one of those you have to see it to believe it. Swinging 60's meets Bollywood, starring Shammi Kapoor, India's answer to Elvis Presley. 10:30PM EST, 7:30PM PST 2hrs 20 mins

Awaara-I haven't seen this one but it is was huge when it came out in 1951. Like Bombay somewhat Romeo & Julietish except instead of Religion it's Caste that is the difference. One of the movie's hit songs, "Awaara Hoon," is associated with India in most countries. You also get a musical number breaking out in Shiva Heaven with misty landscapes. 1AM EST, 10PM PST 2hrs 49mins

Guest Mnytime

A few of my usual factoids I forgot to mention about Awaara, which means The Tramp.

The star of the film Raj Kapoor is also the director/producer of the film. The man who plays the Judge in the film is his real father. The kid who plays him when the character was young is his younger brother. The girl playing the lead was his lover. Raj & Nargis are one of the biggest screen couple in Bollywood History and have made several films together. She was also in Mother India which will be shown next week. Like Greer Garson in Mrs. Miniver she plays the mother of an actor she will later marry.

The Kapoor family are Bollywoods version of the Barrymores. There have now been 5 members of the family that have become huge in films. All 5 have the same trademark as well, Green Eyes. Only recently of those 5 have the women of the family entered films.

Raj Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan (the star of "Sholay" & "Amar Akbar Anthony" which where shown already during this Bollywood Fest) are the two biggest stars in Indian Film History.

"Pakeezah" was interesting. The music was generally closer to classical forms than the other films that I saw in this series, and the scenes/sets were very beautiful. I had trouble getting into the melodrama when I saw it, but the movie generally held my interest.

I thought that "Junglee" was very fun and entertaining. I liked it better than most Hollywood romantic comedies from that time. Shammi Kapoor was great, reminiscent of both Elvis Presley (but a much better actor than Elvis ever was) and maybe Sid Caesar. I thought that the actress that played the girl from Kashmir was even more outstanding. Her acting and dancing had a fresh, natural quality that was very compelling. I regret that I don't remember her name.

I also regret that I could not stay awake for "Awaara". I was really looking forward to seeing that film...

Guest Mnytime

Today's Film are all classics and old school Bollywood Films that are considered some of the best in Bollywood History. All three are dramas.

Mother India 8pm EST, 5pm PST 2hrs 55mins

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/A...4;27951,00.html

Do Bigha Zameen 11pm EST, 8pm PST 2hrs 5mins

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/A...4;27952,00.html

Pyaasa 1:30am EST, 10:30pm PST 2hrs 22mins

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/A...4;27953,00.html