Dave Holland Big Band Concert Saturday 1/22

HWright

I saw the Dave Holland Big Band 7:30 show at the Kennedy Center here in Washington, DC on Saturday night.

Even though there was a good deal of bad weather on the east coast, the band made it in their bus to the show, as Holland told the audience. The line up of the group was more or less that featured on 2002's "What Goes Around," with the important exception of Nate Smith, Holland's new drummer. They played the following tunes:

"Bring it On" (apparently new)

"Triple Dance"

"Last Minute Man" (new)

"A Rio" (new)

"What Goes Around"

Holland talked about a new album, due out this winter (February perhaps?) and I think he implied that all of the three new tunes will be on the album. However, he didn't indicate if the new album would be a quintet or big band album.

I thought Holland put on quite a good show, although it was a bit less intense an experience than his quintet, which I saw at the KC in 2002. Highlights for me were the new tunes "Last Minute Man" and "A Rio" (dedicated to Rio in Brazil) and the strong version of "What Goes Around" that closed the set.

Jazzmatazz says...

Dave Holland Big Band - Overtime (Dare 2) Feb 22

(Link goes to CDUniverse, and gives Alan credit for the source of the click.)

Hope it's better than the last Holland big-band disc. Not that it was all that bad, but it was nowhere near as great as I was expecting it to be. As a big-band tribute to Holland, it was good (meaning if anyone else had turned in that recording) -- but from Holland himself, I was really expecting a 5-star album -- and it only seemed to hit about 4 stars at best (and maybe only 3½, actually, at least on some tracks).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

PS: I heard from a good 2nd-hand source, that at least one or two of the guys in Holland's regular quintet (the most-recently recorded/released version) think Holland's big-band writing/arranging/leading chops are a bit substandard (to put it politely), but that he's got it in his mind that that's what he wants to do (and he convinced a record company to go along with him on it), so what can you do?? [i probably shouldn't mention who I specifically heard say what.]

Much as I love Holland's most recent quintet recordings ( :wub: ), I really do think his big-band disc is much less interesting than it really could or should have been. Frankly, some of the arrangements are (IMVHO), pretty B-grade. The players elevate them somewhat, but hell -- if I remember right, there's one track where Billy Kilson plays a pretty straight ride-rhythm throughout, not even mixing things up hardly a bit. [Track 2, I just dug out the CD to check.]

Perhaps he's grown with these new tunes and/or arrangements. I'm sure I'll check out the new disc, but my hopes won't be quite as high as last time, that's for sure.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

While some might consider the Big Band CD not as compelling as the quintet recordings, I would doubt that that same could be said about their live performances.

I was fortunate enough to see the Big Band at the Symphony Center in Chicago two years ago and really enjoyed the show. The sheer force of that many musicians playing those complex changes together was awesome.

In fact, I just bought tickets today to see the Big Band live again in Easton, Pa this coming March. Can't wait, as I am sure it will be a spectacular event.

To be fair, I will admit that I like the quintet better but that is due to my bias for the smaller group dynamics and virtuoso soloing that this format promotes.

One question regarding the forthcoming CD: if is to be released at the end of February, there is precious little publicity surrounding its imminent sale on Dave's website, or Sunnyside Records as the distributor. Has anyone heard anything?

LWayne

:unsure: