new David S. Ware

adam hill

I just interviewed Ware this morning for a piece that'll appear at

One Final Note. Not an easy interview, but I have such enormous respect

for him as a musician, and these 3 performances are amazing (have only

gotten in one listen so far). The one with Hamid Drake, which is the first time

we have a recording of Hamid in the Quartet, will alone makes this tantalizing.

If you have any dounbts about what Gary Giddins wrote in one of his columns, about the Ware Quartet being the best small band working in jazz, this release will dispell them.

Ah! It's finally coming.

I talked about this upcoming set with Matthew Shipp in last July when he performend at the local jazz festival.I had a chance to meet him briefly and I asked him about his upcoming new releases.

Goodbye money... :(

Edited by Swinger

Sal,

the first one, with Ibarra, is from 1998 and recorded in Switzerland

the second one with Drake, and the third one with Brown, are both

from 2003, and they're both from Italy. The one with Brown is a performance

of the Freedom Suite. Most of the other discs' tracks are from previous records,

though I have yet to check to see if any are new ones.

$17.50 seems like a great price for 3 discs of music, about 3.5 hours of it.

Street date is Feb 22, so says the press release.

I'm still making my way through it, but the sound quality is excellent, and

there's a lot a great interplay. This showcases Ware's virtuosity quite well.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone else been spinning this one? I've gotten through the first two discs and must say that I'm extremely impressed. They chose some excellent live Ware for this release. Lots of intense, spiritual playing all over this stuff....he really sounds good. What a fantastic tenor. And the rhythm section, with the different drummers, are all over this stuff. I always liked Ware best with Suzie Ibarra, but hearing him here with Hamid Drake for the first time was really eye-opening. Hamid has been one of the top percussionists in jazz for a long time, but his versatility really shows here. It seems like there isn't anything he can't play. He and William Parker were born to play together. A trio outing with Fred Anderson would be a dream come true.

Anyone else been spinning this one? I've gotten through the first two discs and must say that I'm extremely impressed. They chose some excellent live Ware for this release. Lots of intense, spiritual playing all over this stuff....he really sounds good. What a fantastic tenor. And the rhythm section, with the different drummers, are all over this stuff. I always liked Ware best with Suzie Ibarra, but hearing him here with Hamid Drake for the first time was really eye-opening. Hamid has been one of the top percussionists in jazz for a long time, but his versatility really shows here. It seems like there isn't anything he can't play. He and William Parker were born to play together. A trio outing with Fred Anderson would be a dream come true.

Definitely looking forward to this, esp. to the rare opp. to hear Ware and Shipp w/ Drake

Sal- you may already be aware that Fred appears with Wm. Parker and Hamid in a quartet setting along with Kidd Jordan. (I enjoy local hero Kidd but comments from some other posters lead me to think he may be an acquired taste - one that I've definitely acquired.) They can be heard on Eremite release "2 Days in April" and on the "Vision Live" cd/dvd combo.

Sal- you may already be aware that Fred appears with Wm. Parker and Hamid in a quartet setting along with Kidd Jordan. (I enjoy local hero Kidd but comments from some other posters lead me to think he may be an acquired taste - one that I've definitely acquired.) They can be heard on Eremite release "2 Days in April" and on the "Vision Live" cd/dvd combo.

minew, I was not aware of this! Thank you very much for the info. I'll try to check this one out.