Jimmy Smith Discography-a critical approach

michel devos

From reading the numerous posts on this forum and others, it is clear that many of us don't know what is really offered in Jimmy's discography : quite understandable with more than 150 issues.

As a tribute to the great man and a help to his fans, I would suggest the following : would every member write a few lines about the music on the CD's or Lp's he owns, such as what kind of tunes, blues, ballad, fast tempo.What 's impressive, what is less attractive, or not at all.Even one or 2(or more) albums would be nice

No need to rewrite a full discography with sessions takes and dates which are available elsewhere, but a concise description of the music recorded.A copy of the artwork would identify the CD

Anybody interested in trying to set up that tribute to the Godfather of jazz organ? :excited:

Edited by michel devos

Six Views of the Blues is obviously the blues, with some by his creation plus the St. Louis Blues. Cecil Payne is on this. Yeah, that took me by surprise. One of my favorite Jimmy Smith albums. This one doesn't get a whole lot of attention, circa 1958. Rescued from the vaults thank god.