Don Wilkerson 45 (on Tomel) Inquiry

JSngry

Along w/THE BOSS, recently purchased from the store that shall remain nameless. ;)

"Low Down Dirty Shame", Parts 1 & 2, Tomel Records 101 by Don Wilkerson and his Tympo Five. A division of Don Wilkerson Production (sic) says the label. 3733 So. Western Ave. 90018, Phone 734-9075 it also adds. Runoff area says T-123A (or B), and the pressing plant stamp is a lowercase "d" at an upward left 45-degree angle to a lower case "g" (adding fuel to my suspicion that Dusty Groove maybe has their own pirate pressing thing going on...)

Tune is a walking shuffle blues, not at all dissimilar to some early 50s King or Kent thing. Bitingly nasty, somewhat Bostic-esque alto featured between vocal spots, and really, REALLY lo-fi recording quality.

So, is this THE Don Wilkerson, and if so, what the hell is this record? Websearch turns up just a few hits, all offering the item for sale.

Guess I'll ask Shelley Carroll if nobody here has a clue. but c'mon - surely SOMEBODY knows what this is!

Damn dude, you're the Organissimo Radio Shack today - I got questions, you got answers. ;)

Any idea of a year, roughly, or what "Don Wilkerson Production"(s) was? Or why there's an L.A. Zip Code?

Now if you tell me that you got that Marchel Ivery 45 from very VERY back in the day... :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Living Blues reviewed "Low Down Dirty Shame Pts. 1&2" in their Autumn 1980 issue - #48.

Review by Jim DeKoster is as follows:

"Texas native Wilkerson was tenor sax soloist in the Amos Milburn and Charles Brown bands, preceded David Newman with Ray Charles, and then cut several fine and funky jazz LP's for Blue Note and Riverside before dropping back into obscurity. Here the sax solos (apparently on alto) alternate with vocals and the whole thing is very much in the manner of a riffing T-Bone Walker shuffle. But for the electric bass, it sounds for all the world as if it had been recorded in about 1948 and is something of an anomaly in the 1980's singles market. Tomel is a Los Angeles label."

Just because a record was reviewed at a certain time, doesn't mean it was issued then, but very late 70's to 1980 might be a good guess for the issue date.

....Here's a funny Wilkerson story I heard from a lady soul singer from Houston I did a session with a while back....

In the 60's she had a gig where she sang and played a cocktail drum kit, a lounge-type gig. One day she had forgotten to pick her drums up at the club and Don Wilkerson said he'd be happy to go by the club and pick them up for her since he had a car and she didn't.

Don never came back with the drums. After a couple of days, she found Don and asked where the drums were. His response...."I pawned those, you couldn't play them anyway." :D

• 1 year later...