mosaic buying strategies

okay so we're all doing our taxes.... and some of us :) will get refunds from the FEDS...

so you've got a little extra cash flow... and you decide you want to get a set or two from Mosaic... Which of the following criteria take preference in your decision on what sets to get???

A. Love the artist and have been dying to get the set for a while/will buy anything by this artist/during this period.

B. Don't know much about the artist (or the period), but developed a curiousity (e.g., heard a CD, read the review on the board...etc.) and want to check out the set.

C. The infamous "Last Chance/Running Low" threat... ;)

D. You had the original LP's/CDs' and wanted the complete set with better sound.

E. I'll buy 2 and sell one on E-Bay....

F. Something else (please specify!)

In my case - I would definitely say in order - A, B and C.... I definitely bought Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Jackie McLean, Elvin Jones, & Stanley Turrentine boxes for reason A...

I'm usually concerned that they will run out of a set I want so if it shows up on the "last chance" list, I'll pick it up; but I only buy sets of musicians I really like. Some sets come out and you're thinking "damn :o , I need to get that set right now" and some are like "I'll pick it up sometime <_< ".

My order is:

C. The infamous "Last Chance/Running Low" threat...

I figure if there's something I really want that's within a year or so of going out of print, I'll go with that title. I've learned to just let some sets go oop. I realize I can't have them all, but if I do want a set that has been around for awhile, I make that my top priority.

A. Love the artist and have been dying to get the set for a while/will buy anything by this artist/during this period.

I haven't done this with very many sets, but this is definitely an option. The fact that these sets will be around for awhile and the fact that I probably have some of the albums in the set already, usually bring the urgency down for me.

B. Don't know much about the artist (or the period), but developed a curiousity (e.g., heard a CD, read the review on the board...etc.) and want to check out the set.

This comes into play when a set hits running low. I go through all the posts regarding said set and I make my decision whether to pass on it or buy it.

E. I'll buy 2 and sell one on E-Bay....

I've never done this. I always found other places to spend my money. Also, I'd feel bad if a set was running low and I was buying extra sets for speculation and someone missed out. Knowing myself, I'd sell that set for what I'd paid for it.

You forgot:

G. suddenly find the European version carried by an Amazon Marketplace merchant for an incredibly low price.    :excited:

:lol::lol::lol:

This option is my #1. :tup

Too bad the number of sets it has applied to so far is also #1. :(

Yeah... maybe there will be more. :D

Too bad my set hasn't arrived yet! :P:ph34r:

You forgot:

G. suddenly find the European version carried by an Amazon Marketplace merchant for an incredibly low price. :excited:

Fair enough Ron... ;)

I'm definitely affected by the "Last Chance/Running Low" (a.k.a the Sky is Falling - My life will be incomplete if I don't grab this - What can of jazz fan am I to NOT have so and so in my collection>>> ;( )... Or the strategic/hopeful prayer of if I wait 5 years, they'll reissue most of this stuff on individual CD's theory....

fyi.. I'm still fighting with Camian for my return Farlow... :)