Jump to content

tranemonk

Members
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Location
    Boston, MA

Recent Profile Visitors

8,847 profile views

tranemonk's Achievements

  1. I was very lucky, I caught him the last time he played the Newport Jazz Fest in RI. I wish I had seen Michel Petrucciani, Billie, Duke and Lee Morgan.
  2. Yea I'm with you on that. I still can't decipher how this is different than the 6 and 8 cd box sets that came out a decade ago. I'm confused.
  3. Just thought folks should know... I'm might grab both. Not sure yet. https://resonancerecordsjazz.bandcamp.com/?search_item_id%3D967660882%26search_item_type%3Db%26search_match_part%3D%3F%26search_page_id%3D5833577050%26search_page_no%3D0%26search_rank%3D2
  4. I stream a lot of my music via Airplay to the AppleTV in my living room. I'm considering getting the new Sonos Beam Ultra soundbar coming out next week. Does anyone who streams their stuff on their TV setup have a really good soundbar you'd recommend? https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam-ultra
  5. The more I listen to the one track, the more lukewarm I'm getting on this release. There is so much good 'Trane already in existence... I think I'd rather spend my time re-listening to the stuff I've got. Whatever Verve did/is doing with what and how it gets released, the track I heard sounds like a bootleg (e.g., mediocre sound quality). With numerous radio stations playing a just tribute this week/today, I'm more inclined to just re-live what I've got. Maybe when the full release comes out I'll give a better listen on Apple Music... but for now... It's a fairly easy pass.
  6. Even though I have the single cd.. I might have to grab this 3cd version.
  7. Amen... Way too much hype.
  8. Okay I've got a stupid question. Why have I never heard of him? I'm liking this stuff on Bandcamp. The bio on Allmusic was very helpful. Did one of our board members write it? What's his most important releases? I'm gonna check him out more. Thanks.
  9. I thought everyone on this board hated Wynton??? He was one of the first jazz musicians I followed but over the years I've gotten bored with him. From the business/PR side of jazz he brought in a LOT of money and attention in the 90s/early 2000s.
  10. As a university professor the worst issues are the change in cultural norms where students no longer expect to (and in many cases cannot) conceptualize and write their own reports and papers. The ability to write well is eroding quickly.
  11. Just saw Nolan's The Odyssey. Terrible. LONNNGGG vanity project.
  12. I know this is a me thing... but if there is ONE trumpeter that I want to listen to first... It's Lee Morgan. I know it's decades after Armstrong and a completely different context but when I listen to him, I hear him. I'm not annoyed, overwhelmed or nudged into him... I want to hear more of him and his writing was awesome. As far as vocalists go... I go to Nat Cole first (as a male), Billie, and then Anita O'Day. Maybe it's because I'm not a musician but I have tried with Armstrong and I just don't care. Okay go ahead let me have it... 🙄
  13. Just not doing it for me. I know I'm in the extreme minority but I don't get the Louis Armstrong love. I've tried. I got one or two of the Mosaic sets and no matter what I just don't like him. Sorry.
  14. I know it's a lot of Nancy Wilson but if there's any vocalist (other than Billie) that I wanted to listen to for 7 hours it's her... Any thoughts? https://www.importcds.com/youre-as-right-as-rain-the-capitol-albums-1970-1980/5013929092433
×
×
  • Create New...