Woody Herman

mikeb

I have this LP and shouldn't answer without checking it first, but I believe it's a compliation and as I recall, details in the album notes are rather sketchy. I think it may contain some of the stuff Woody recorded in the '50's for the Mars label. My recollection is that it's OK, (just about everything Woody recorded is OK or better), but it doesn't stand out in my mind as prime Herman material.

I have this LP and shouldn't answer without checking it first, but I believe it's a compliation and as I recall, details in the album notes are rather sketchy. I think it may contain some of the stuff Woody recorded in the '50's for the Mars label. My recollection is that it's OK, (just about everything Woody recorded is OK or better), but it doesn't stand out in my mind as prime Herman material.

Check this out... My father, tenor sax man Arno Marsh recorded and toured with Woody Herman's 3rd Herd during the Mars years and can be heard playing most of the tenor solos.... He currently resides in Las Vegas and anybody interested in this period of woody Herman's music can email Arno at MarshNV@aol.com

My dad will be touring June 26th thru June 30th with Organissimo and

Jazz vocalist Harvey Thompson. We will be performing in outdoor venues in Northern Michigan. For more information go to organissimo.org and check out our calendar.