Santana: "Lotus"

CJ Shearn

santana is a guy who's been trying to break into jazz since like 1970. but no one's taking him seriously in that area of music (and rightfully so).

the lotus tour had leon thomas on vocals, but his participation is not documented on the lotus lp/cd. evidently he sang pharoah's creator/plan on the tour.

all that said, lotus is a great santana cd, if you're into that kind of music.

I was disappointed by 'Welcome' at the time - too many 'soul' type vocals. Always liked things like the McLaughlin/Santana blast out and the opening/closing tracks. The 'soul' vocals don't bother me so much now. I nice record if not one that has me awestruck like Caravanserai.

I got it today in the mail. Great album, honestly I think of it as a fusion record and hear more jazz, Latin and African elements more than anything. The drum solo on "Kyoto" I totally hear Tony, Elvin and Jack DeJohnette style ideas integrated through it.

Mike Shrieve was one of the most musically interesting members of the band... I think he was the guy who introduced Carlos to the music of Miles & Trane.

Guy