Dianne Reeves & the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

Ed S

Earlier this year my wife and I decided to expand our horizons a bit and attend a couple of Philharmonic performances. The first concert we saw was a straight classical performance. To be honest, I just guess I'm not ready at this point to delve into classical music. My loss I guess - for now - because I'll try again in the future.

So it was with some amount of trepidation that we went to the concert hall last night. I've never been to a pops concert, much less one featuring a jazz vocalist. We were both fearful of another snoozer - or even worse some sort of Mitch Milleresque scene and had agreed that if we weren't enjoying ourselves, we'd leave early. I have to say my fears were totally unfounded as it was a terrific show.

The Philharmonic Orchestra was fronted by Reeves' regular quartet. In fact, they opened with a song featuring only the quartet. The next couple of numbers featured the orchestra and were fabulous. I never imagined that a philharmonic orchestra could swing, but swing they did - and hard - on Lullaby of Birdland and Speak Low. The night was actually a tribute to Sarah Vaughan, so most of the music was material associated with her career.

As hard as the orchestra swung - and as powerful as that sounded - they really were outstanding on the ballad arrangments. They performed Misty, Embraceable You, and a couple others that I don't recall right now with such beautiful, stirring arrangements that I think I've got a whole new perspective on what "with strings" can be. Absolutely lush, moving, and gorgeous arrangements. Again the power of the orchestra was at times overwhelming - in a good way.

Reeves' voice was magnificent. I have none of her albums, by the way, so I did not really know what to expect. Her band was very good and the orchestra and bandmembers complemented each other wonderfully. The band worked without the orchestra in a total of 3 or 4 numbers scattered throughout the performance, so there was quite a variety of music presented.

Well, my fears were unfounded and I ended up catching a pretty memorable performance. I'll definitely be attending events like this in the future. I'm actually looking forward to next season as pops nights featuring Herbie Hancock and Cassandra Wilson (separate shows) are scheduled.

It was quite a show. Kleinhans Music Hall has been lovingly restored over the past few years. They've even repaired the reflecting pool outsine the building. It's alsways sounded great there. Now it looks great again as well.

Reeves' voice was magnificent.  I have none of her albums, by the way, so I did not really know what to expect.  Her band was very good and the orchestra and bandmembers complemented each other wonderfully.  The band worked without the orchestra in a total of 3 or 4 numbers scattered throughout the performance, so there was quite a variety of music presented.

Ed, Dianne and her quartet was in our area last year and mezmorized the audience. She's received some bad raps in recent years because of her song selection and musical direction but The Calling, Trib to Sarah is superb. And so is The Grand Encounter. On the heels of two grammys in a row for best female jazz vocal performance, she was also named creative chair for the Los Angeles Philmarmonic last year.

One of my favorite jazz singers. She has a new cd coming out in August I believe.

The Buffalo Philharmonic has some innovative programming. Most orchestras are afraid to take chances. I play trombone/arrange in a Frank Zappa repertoire band (Bogus Pomp) and we gave a concert with the Buffalo Philharmonic three years ago. The opening half was the orchestra playing some of Zappa's works (Dupree's Paradise, BeBop Tango, Naval Aviation in Art, Strictly Genteel, G-Spot Tornado). Tom Wilkins conducted. The second half was Bogus Pomp (a ten-piece band) with vocalist Napoleon Murphy Brock.

The selections were:

1. son of orange county

2. zoot allures

3. village of the sun

4. echidna's arf of you

5. don't you ever wash that thing?

6. oh no

7. black page

8. dupree's paradise

9. andy

10. black napkins

11. florentine pogen

12. idiot bastard son

13. cheepnis

14. inca roads

15. watermelon in easter hay

16. peaches en regalia

17. uncle remus

We were treated very well in Buffalo and it was a pleasure to perform there. I wish that we could give similar concerts with other American orchestras.

David

Bogus Pomp