FS : complete blue note lee morgan 50's sessions

I can understand why he would sell this. I have at least 20 Mosaics, most OOP (including the Morgan box mentioned here), but I only regularly listen to a few of them and I can't really see myself buying many more Mosaics in the future (except for some of their sets of early Jazz where they are salvaging material and not disturbing any original album sequences - the HRS set is something I treasure). It's trouble taking down the big box, sets taken from albums (especially the BN Mosaics) often break up the albums across CDs and put the songs in chronological order rather than original sequence, no cover art which I love (although the B&W photos are really nice), and it's just too much to digest in one or two sittings - I honestly can't concentrate anymore to listen to more than 45 minutes - 1 hour of one artist at a time. It's not worth my time to figure out the original album sequences and I wouldn't even want to try and figure out how to 'burn' a CD. As things become available more as individual CDs with better sound I will probably replace any of these Mosaics I care about with the individuals. I have the same problem with non-Mosaics - I stopped buying boxes from artists like Monk and Miles and instead concentrate on the original albums. If something isn't available now individually I know it will be someday.

I can understand why he would sell this. I have at least 20 Mosaics, most OOP (including the Morgan box mentioned here), but I only regularly listen to a few of them and I can't really see myself buying many more Mosaics in the future (except for some of their sets of early Jazz where they are salvaging material and not disturbing any original album sequences - the HRS set is something I treasure). It's trouble taking down the big box, sets taken from albums (especially the BN Mosaics) often break up the albums across CDs and put the songs in chronological order rather than original sequence, no cover art which I love (although the B&W photos are really nice), and it's just too much to digest in one or two sittings - I honestly can't concentrate anymore to listen to more than 45 minutes - 1 hour of one artist at a time. It's not worth my time to figure out the original album sequences and I wouldn't even want to try and figure out how to 'burn' a CD. As things become available more as individual CDs with better sound I will probably replace any of these Mosaics I care about with the individuals. I have the same problem with non-Mosaics - I stopped buying boxes from artists like Monk and Miles and instead concentrate on the original albums. If something isn't available now individually I know it will be someday.

I agree with just about all of this.

....I have at least 20 Mosaics, most OOP (including the Morgan box mentioned here), but I only regularly listen to a few of them and I can't really see myself buying many more Mosaics in the future.... It's trouble taking down the big box, sets taken from albums (especially the BN Mosaics) often break up the albums across CDs and put the songs in chronological order rather than original sequence, no cover art which I love (although the B&W photos are really nice), and it's just too much to digest in one or two sittings - I honestly can't concentrate anymore to listen to more than 45 minutes - 1 hour of one artist at a time. It's not worth my time to figure out the original album sequences and I wouldn't even want to try and figure out how to 'burn' a CD. As things become available more as individual CDs with better sound I will probably replace any of these Mosaics I care about with the individuals. I have the same problem with non-Mosaics - I stopped buying boxes from artists like Monk and Miles and instead concentrate on the original albums. If something isn't available now individually I know it will be someday.

I bought the Jackie McLean Mosaic several months ago. It is great but I find myself listening to the original cds I already had instead, primarily because of sequencing. I can easily burn "It's Time" but for some reason I know I'll end up buying a copy. Maybe it's the iconic status the original packaging holds (that's from growing up on vinyl). I do have one gripe with the way some bonus tracks are included. I don't think they should interrupt the original album sequence. McLean's domestic Blue Note release of "One Step Byond" inserts an alternate take of "Saturday and Sunday" in the number two slot right after the original. Alternate takes are better served by going at the end of the original sequencing. I will still grab certain Mosaic sets because they serve as mini reference libraries that you can burn from and they often contain impossible to find oop releases and unreleased sessions.

As far as listening, I still enjoy marathon 5 or 6 hour listening sessions. Just a few weeks ago, I listened to Henry Threadgill for an entire morning/afternoon, through my favorite cds of his catalog, repeating several of them.

Kevin