CD/DVD player lens cleaners

skeith

I'd be curious to hear some thoughts on this too. Just the idea of something spinning around something, about a million miles an hour, and slapping up against the lense --- somehow doesn't sit right with me, so I've avoided them at all costs. But I've done nothing otherwise to clean CD lenses either.

Sorta like the VCR tape-head cleaners (cleaning tapes), which I don't feel do a very good job, and may do more harm than good. I've always thought it was better to take the thing apart (VCR's, anyway), and clean them by hand with cotton swabs and alcohol. (Counting the seconds before somebody tells me that's the absolute worst way to clean the heads on a VCR. :P )

Sorta like the VCR tape-head cleaners (cleaning tapes), which I don't feel do a very good job, and may do more harm than good. I've always thought it was better to take the thing apart (VCR's, anyway), and clean them by hand with cotton swabs and alcohol. (Counting the seconds before somebody tells me that's the absolute worst way to clean the heads on a VCR. :P )

For VHS decks:

Actually, that's what we do in post production on much more expensive decks. Open them up and clean with alcohol. But cotton swabs aren't really good: they can leave bits o' cotton. Get some good lint-free cloths. We get a kind that are already cut into little squares and packaged in a ziplock bag.

There are also better types of alcohol than others.

No insight into the laser cleaners.