Jump to content

Tom in RI

Members
  • Posts

    1,101
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Tom in RI

  • Birthday 08/22/1956

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Rhode Island

Recent Profile Visitors

10,681 profile views

Tom in RI's Achievements

  1. I seem to remember that the CC Wardell Gray was to be 15 volumes but they were only up to 6 when the label stopped issuing. Oops, confusing this with the Masters of Jazz issues.
  2. I don’t know, I mean , there’s so little by Jimmy Smith available…..
  3. I had the great pleasure to see him at a local junior college in a fairly small space here in RI. I bought a couple of his releases that day and used his take on Giant Steps on a BFT here which well received.
  4. Rewatching Homicide: Life on the Streets on the Charge network.
  5. Looking specifically for New York - Chicago 1924-1936. I was going to buy online but if someone here has a copy they no longer want I’m interested. Thanks.
  6. Thanks to everyone who participated. Here’s what’s what. Body and Soul – The Leaders feat Sam Rivers. As he is announced at the end this one was id’ed right away. Speak Low – Bill Perkins. From an lp on Fresh Sounds titled Killer Joe, features Claude Williamson on piano. It Could be if it Was But it Ain’t – Mickey Tucker from The Crawl on Muse. Marcus Belgrave on trumpet, Junior Cook on tenor, Slide Hampton on trombone, Earl May on bass and Billy Hart on drums. One for Bruce – Alan Barnes from Better Late Than Never on Woodville. An Englishman and multi reedist. Tango Reflexio – Bruce Gertz from Reptilian Fantasies on Whaling City. Bruce Gertz on bass, Jerry Bergonzo on tenor, Ken Cervencka on trumpet, Tim Horner on drums, Gabriel Guerreri on piano Juliano – Charles Davis from for the Love of Lori as id’ed by. When I first heard Davis my reaction was similar to Felser’s, I thought he sounded a little off. Subsequently his playing has really grown on me. The International Wingo Conspiracy – Charlie Kohlhase from Dancing on my Bedpost on CIMP records. Kohlhase on bari, Matt Langley on tenor, John Carlson on trumpet, John Turner on bass and Matt Wilson on drums. Dirty – Dayna Stephens from I’ll Take My Chances on Cross Cross. Stephens on bari, Charles Altura on guitar, Gerald Clayton on organ and Bill Stewart on drums. Tourist in my Town – Francesco Cataldo from Spaces on Alpha Music. Cataldo on guitar, David Binney on alto, Scott Colley on bass, Clarence Penn on drums and Salvatore Bonafede on piano. Here on Earth – Ingrid Jensen from Here on Earth on Enja. Jensen on trumpet, George Colligan on piano, Dwayne Burno on bass and Gary Bartz on sax. Lyins – Michelle Rosewoman from Quintessence on Enja. Rosewoman piano, Greg Osby and Steve Coleman reeds, Anthony Cox bass, and Terri Lyne Carrington drums. Too Late, Fall Back Baby – Keno Duke from Sense of Values on Strata East. I’ll share some comments later. But I have to say, even when Thom wasn’t sure who it was his comments were really spot on.
  7. Nice informative piece here on Joe Gordon, https://richardvacca.com/joe-gordon-story-part-1/
  8. Does each individual leader own their Strata East masters?
  9. Lester Mobley recognized Mabern and cayetano has nailed the tune and the record it’s from.
  10. I don’t get JSngry’s link, Warne Marsh isn’t present on this BFT. Lester Mobley correctly id’d #6, I can see where the tenor has some similarities to Benny Golson.
  11. Interesting read, thanks for posting Daniel.
  12. Lester Mobley has nailed #6. Felser’s comment on that track mirrored my own first impressions of the sax man, particularly on tenor, but somehow he grew on me.
  13. Oops, I did not realize that.
  14. Welcome to BFT #267. Tried to keep the size to about an hour, hope everyone will find something of interest. I would have had this up yesterday but I spent the most of the day traveling. https://thomkeith.net/2026-organissimo-blindfold-tests/
×
×
  • Create New...