Shuggie Otis

Big Wheel

Jim Sangrey, in a thread from a while ago, termed Shuggie "the missing link between Sly Stone and Brian Wilson." Listening to this one, I can kind of see it...raw funk/blues guitar meets laid-back California songwriting...or something like that. (I'm not qualified to talk at length about either Stone or Wilson, really.)

Anyway, the first couple of listens through the CD version had me liking the bonus tracks--recorded a couple of years before-- a LOT more than the original album. The original tracks were just a bit too sugary, I think. On a third listen, they have started to grow on me. He was a hell of a guitar player for being barely a 20 year old (and very versatile, you can hear him playing octaves a la Wes or Benson on one or two of the tunes). A shame that he just faded away into obscurity.

Edited by Big Wheel

I don't know if I'd say Shuggie was the link between Sly Stone and Brian Wilson. But "Information" sure has gained momentum in the respect dept. lately. I like it, but am far from saying it's a masterpiece. Great record by a young musican who had a ton of talent and a lot of promise.

It's a very unique record. Something you can't say a lot anymore.

He's had a "comeback" show or two in Los Angeles after the album was reissued.  I did not go to either, but I have a vague collection that it went poorly - underrehearsed, etc.

Here's a review of a SF concert, that appeared in the July 9, 2001 SF Chronicle. It isn't pretty:

Shuggie Otis stumbled going through the door.

If the reissue of his 27-year-old lost psychedelic soul masterpiece, "Inspiration Information," on rock star David Byrne's label gave the 47 year- old guitarist a second chance, he didn't help the cause with the debacle of a performance he gave Saturday at the Fillmore Auditorium.

Bad enough that a musician missing in action for the better part of a quarter-century should show up for a major headline concert appearance before a near-capacity crowd so obviously unprepared -- he hadn't even bothered to tune his guitar before going onstage and the band clearly didn't know the material -- but by the time he finished his haphazard, inept performance nearly two and a half hours after it started, only a handful of diehards remained in the hall.

FLURRIES OF NOTES

Even his unquestioned skills on guitar, which earned him an invitation to join the Rolling Stones when he was barely out of his teens, were poorly displayed. His solos were never focused or pointed, just flashy flurries of notes and runs up and down the fretboard that reeked of desperation, a man hopelessly flailing in the water while he drowned. It was a sad, discouraging sight.

Otis has lived in near obscurity since the 1974 release of his third solo album, playing as a sideman in bands led by either his father, R&B pioneer Johnny Otis, or his father-in-law, big band jazz arranger Gerald Wilson. He wasn't even working either of those gigs when the CD rerelease hit earlier this year to great critical acclaim and actual sales (the CD has stayed on the best-selling lists, for instance, at the main San Francisco Tower Records store).

BAND HADN'T PRACTICED

His band, which included his younger brother Nicky on drums, obviously hadn't practiced much (if at all). The three-piece horn section clearly didn't know what was coming next and, while they stayed game throughout the evening, playing riffs from other people's records, they wisely backed away from the microphones early in the proceedings unless they were taking solos, and there were plenty of those. The evening was little more than a pointless blues jam --

something that was made abundantly clear early on, when the trombonist took his second solo by the third song -- and not a very good one at that.

Otis switched between guitar and organ, aimlessly, without any strategy. He would just wander over to the organ after laying his guitar down on the stage (since he didn't bring enough stands to hold his three guitars) and noodle to no effect. Sometimes he would change his mind before playing a single note on the keyboard and meander back out front to play guitar. He strapped on an electric bass and, in front of nothing but the other bass and drums, played "lead" bass for about 10 minutes.

FORGOT TO PLUG IN

He even had trouble simply handling his equipment. He started playing one of his guitars before he remembered to plug it in. He caused feedback when he didn't turn his guitar off and screamed at the sound engineer to stop the feedback (something only Otis could do by turning the guitar down). In fact, he worked over the sound man mercilessly throughout the evening. Usually musicians straighten out these technical problems in advance or pretend they are not happening. To call them out over and over again is an embarrassment to all involved.

There wasn't a single moment in the show where Otis seemed on top of his game. Toward the end of the second hour, he suddenly discovered a set list on the back of an amplifier and started consulting it, which may be why he played two songs that he had already performed earlier. If these guys had been auditioning for some low-life dive of a blues bar, they wouldn't have gotten the gig.

• 8 years later...

Just checked out the outstanding Etta James/Cleanhead Vinson Blues in the Night - especially good is the second disc of the two. Shuggie is on guitar and in very strong form. Rest of the band is Red Holloway/Jack McDuff/Richard Reid (b)/Paul Humphrey (d).

This was recorded in 1986. Was Shuggie Otis on other sessions around this period? My understanding was that he dropped out of the scene by the early '80s...would be interested in hearing what else is out there if it's anywhere near as good as this.

He's on a few Johnny Otis albums I've got

Back to jazz - Ala (1977)

The new JOhnny Otis show - Alligator (1981)

Good lovin' blues - Ace UK (1990)

Spirit of the black territory bands - Arhoolie (1990)

I can't say I ever really dug him particularly. Struck me like he was another Sugarcane Harris - could have been great but got too involved with rock music for my liking. Wasn't surprised when the only times I'd see his name was on his father's records (or the Etta James double LP, Etta being kind of close to the family).

MG

Shuggie was in Australia last week for our biggest Blues Festival. He played locally at a 'concert hall' event with Taj Mahal and Robert Cray. Unfortunately I missed the show. Too expensive when I really only would have wanted to see Shuggie. If he played a pub venue I would have made it.

Here is a short precis of one performance,

taken from here

https://rhythms.com.au/news/byron-bluesfest-opens-with-a-blast/

At 5.30pm came the first of many difficult choices; Trombone Shorty & New Orleans, Shuggie Otis, Wanda Jackson and Go Jane Go (the new outfit for Kieran Kane, David Francey & Lucas Kane) all kicked off sets at the same time (along with local favourites The Beards who drew a strong crowd to the Cavanbah).

Bluesfest 2013 Thursday – Trombone Short

I went for Shuggie and stuck it out through the slow start. Otis and his band were not what you would call slick and took a while to get cooking, but when they did, they hit some amazing highs. As they built in confidence, Shuggie really began to shine, playing some inspired blues solos that were somewhere between Clapton and Hendrix. The band tried out a new song, ‘Wings Of Love’, the title track to their new album, and it was a powerful, glistening piece of smooth psyche-soul.

Robert Cray demonstrated his distinctive touch on the guitar and Jake Shimabukuro did things seemingly impossible to the ukulele as the Easter moon rose full and white over the teeming festival site.

Also an interview from Shuggie promoting his tour and talking about some his history

http://thedwarf.com.au/interview/13908/introducing-shuggie-otisagain

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I've been a big fan of Shuggie since the Inspiration Information reissue. The Here Comes Shuggie Otis/Freedom Flight and Shuggie Otis Plays The Blues reissues also have some real gems on 'em. Nice to read he might be slowly rounding himself back into form, but much like Sly Stone there's always the old stuff.

Kind of raises more questions than it answers, especially given the panning of the 2001 shows. He's going to be on Fallon next week as it turns out. Thought this was an interesting video: http://www.shuggieotismusic.com/news/song-premiere-hear-special-shuggie-otis-inspiration-informationwings-love