Buster Williams

sheldonm

We're obviously not getting the entire story (either side of it), but I could see the fact that someone from the crowd was onstage might play a part in this. "What is that? *Who* is that? I never booked that!"

Mike

I don't see why that would factor into it.

On a plantation, Massa calls all the shots.

If someone books a quartet, he has a reasonable expectation that he will get that quartet. Anything else is not acceptable - this isn't a jam session and it's not an open mike. I wonder if the contracts stipulate such things.

Mike

Did he NOT get the quartet?

Apparently he got a quintet that included a rapper, which wasn't what he booked.

I'm running out of whatever energy is required to argue Joe Segal's point, especially since I've never met him and can't even imagine walking in his moccasins. But it sounds to me like he's got firm ideas of what he wants in his club - and it's his club. Did he communicate his view in the "friendliest" manner? Probably not - but maybe that's his way. And while maybe Buster was expressing himself, Joe was certainly expressing himself.

Mike

While I'm not saying it's cool to kill the lights. I really, really (really) believe that most of these guys have played the Showcase many times and know what Joe is looking for when they are booked. Maybe Buster didn't think it was a big deal but Joe did. When Joe intros the bands and make comments like "You're in for some real music, not that rap crap B-) ", I'm not sure I'd have someone rapping, but that's me!!! It may have been a friend of Busters; I doubt if it was just some guy sitting there that talked him into letting him just up on stage. From the crowds Joe typically draws, I would suggest they may not be there to listen to rap. Hell, they get uneasy when Benny Golson tells his stories :blink: !

I asked if there were "words" after the show about the situation but was told that neither one of them mentioned it! It's as if both of them just accepted it and went on with life. I wish I had been there to witness it but chose a different day to attend. I think they both need each other to survive!

Mark

now i'm glad i didn't attend the sunday afternoon show as planned. i did attend the 8pm set later that day and didn't observe any obvious conflict or friction. in fact, i thought the quartet performed better than it had during friday's late show, although the company was certainly great that night! thanks mark, sal, and eric.

I asked if there were "words" after the show about the situation but was told that neither one of them mentioned it! It's as if both of them just accepted it and went on with life. I wish I had been there to witness it but chose a different day to attend.  I think they both need each other to survive!

Mark

now i'm glad i didn't attend the sunday afternoon show as planned. i did attend the 8pm set later that day and didn't observe any obvious conflict or friction. in fact, i thought the quartet performed better than it had during friday's late show, although the company was certainly great that night! thanks mark, sal, and eric.

Jazzshrink,

Good to see you on-line. I hope you had a good time in Chicago; wish we could have hung out a little longer!

Mark

Come back and visit us soon!

Recently I attended a concert featuring an "out" orchestra backed up by a scratcher and a rapper. I picked up the info. for the event from the venue's website, and almost passed when I saw the rapper/scratcher listed -- very glad I didn't. The rapper had a huge smile on his face as he delivered an energetic "happy rap" (not to be confused with gangsta) and the scratcher was barely audible. His delivery, combined with the angular/punching lines of the band was *very* energizing ---- never thought I'd respond so positively to anything involving rap.

All that being said (and addressing the topic at hand) I think it's grossly unfair to attack Joe for expecting to receive that which he contracted for. Buster *must* have known he was pushing the envelope based on Segal's well-known distaste for rap --- and that to me is at least a tad disrespectful.