stan getz-sweet rain (the live album)

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

in virgin today i found a stan getz album called "sweet rain" on west wind. it seems to be a live performance with most of the captain marvel band (no airto) from the late 60s or early 70s plus two other tracks from a later getz band (with al dailey and billy hart).

anyone know about this thing? sound quality ok? performances good? worth the $15 bucks?

Caveat Emptor with West Wind. Every time I've bought one of their releases, it turned out to a repackaged date I already had. They got me with Sonny Clark's "Blues Mambo" and another time with a Pepper Adams (?) date. I would look at the tunes and personnel carefully. You may have this on another (more legitimate) label.

BTW, if I recall, sound quality wasn't stellar and since this is a live date, I would expect less. :)

Kevin

I have that recording.

Nice sound; good performance (12/1969). I like this a little better that Captian Marvel for the performances.

The last two songs are by the group with Albert Dailey, George Mraz and Billy Hart. A group I saw live many times.

Sweet Rain - 6:32

Wee - 8:39

Lush Life - 4:54

Night Time Street - 9:22

La Fiesta - 12:32

Lester Left Town - 9:29

Lover Man - 12:09

I got mine used through Django's and thought I would be getting the more famous album by that name. After all, that's what the picture suggested, and pictures don't lie.

I kept it though as I like it for the same reasons that Marcello states.

I was a little disappointed that I still didn't have the "real" Sweet Rain and figured that any future online attempts to purchase it might result in getting more copies of the live Sweet Rain instead. But as luck would have it the next week I bought the LP at a record convention for $4. :)

I got this when I was looking for the studio "Sweet Rain". It's good. Whatever one thinks of Getz he had good taste in sidemen. Tony Williams here, and in the last year of his life Scott Lafaro seems to have performed more with Getz than with Bill Evans.

Edited by medjuck