Help on Soul Jazz?? Ronnie Foster- Jack McDuff

Morganized

I saw a couple of CD's in the used shop today and thought I might be able to get an opinion here. Both were Blue Note Rare Groove. One was Ronnie Foster's, Two Headed Freap, the other Brother Jack McDuff, Down Home Style.

Any comments on these? I have heard them discussed in the past but can't remember the comments and was curious to hear what thoughts are out there.

Thanks

Yeah, if you don't like the Foster you could always sell it to someone here at the board. It's a no risk purchase.

On the McDuff, I like it. It's a good Rare Groove title. Meaning it's nothing revolutionary or mind blowing but definitely booty shaking.

As above, buy 'em. Both are nice Rare Grooves.

If you dig the Foster, check out Sweet Revival. It's another BN recently reissued on BN France and available at Dustygroove for $14. Not as good as Freap, but Foster has a way with those 60s pop tunes that really works for me. Killer version of Me and Mrs Jones

It's hard to believe all the praise heaped on these Ronnie Foster sessions. Foster, Bobby Humphery, Ronni Laws and the Mizell brothers were all brought to Blue Note by one Dr. George Butler. They were criticly panned at the time of their release 30 years ago and the critics were right. This stuff isn't jazz at its best and isn't good music at its worst. As for McDuff, he made some great records and had many great bands. For me, I'll take the sessions on Prestige. :tdown