Joe Lovano

sal

I picked this one up a few days ago and am really enjoying it. It features the same quartet of Hank Jones, George Mraz and Paul Motian that was on "I'm All For You". I didn't buy that album because to be honest, an album full of ballads just doesn't appeal to me. But after hearing that this new one has a mix of uptempo numbers as well, I decided to buy and I'm awfully glad I did. This is an excellent album by an excellent group who really sounds like they are enjoying playing with one another.

I must confess....Hank Jones is a player that I hadn't been exposed to all that much. I think that aside from the "Someday My Prince Will Come" trio album from last year and Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else", I really don't have any other Hank Jones in my collection other than some stuff scattered throughout my Mosaic collection. But after listening to "Joyous Encounter" something clicked in my head (don't you love it when that happens?). I feel like I finally "get" what makes Hank such a giant, and I plan on further investigating his discography. There is no other music like jazz that gives its listeners so many of these epiphanys scattered throughout one's lifetime. I love it!

Anyways, to get back on track, the album is fabulous. George Mraz sounds excellent like he always does, Motian's drumming is innovative and just about perfect, and Lovano sounds very inspired with his company. What a year for Lovano so far....with this and the Paul Motian Trio album on ECM, he's already on two of the finest releases of the year. Check this one out!

Mine too. I loved "I'm All For You" partly because it WAS all ballads. (None of them plodded . . . or thudded.) ^_^

Hank Jones really shone on that release. I have dozens of cds with Hank on board and this is one of the best of them. His comping on it is just amazing!

Moitian I had the most problem with, but may have less of a problem on non-ballads.

His comping on it is just amazing!

Moitian I had the most problem with, but may have less of a problem on non-ballads.

That's the first aspect of Hank Jones that really clicked with me while listening to "Joyous Encounter".....his comping. Amazing! I don't know how I never noticed this before.

Motian's drumming really serves this music well. I love how he constantly messes with the groove while never sacraficing the swing. And I don't think I've heard another drummer who uses rimshots so effectively. He hits more rimshots than any other drummer I've heard, but it never sounds overdone.

I had some of the same uneasiness about the last record due to Motian's approach in the ballads context, but I LOVE this new record, and the band really sounds more like a band than an all star sesison. It's my vote for album of the year right now.

By the way, Hank has his own new trio record out with George Mraz and Dennis Mackrel on Justin Time, also very nice and tasty.