Interviewing Hank Jones

Joe M

Hank, all those chords are lovely and placed impeccably - why don't you EVER take a friggin' chance?

Is "good taste" always the answer?

Thanks for all the lovely music, and I mean that.

You mean there's only ONE answer? I didn't know that. I though diversity, even in music, was a good thing. There's plenty of people doing everything else, very few doing what Hank does. So I think he has the right to rely on his good taste, just as much as so many other artists have a right to rely on their bad taste.

If I understand you correctly, my response is "HUH?".

Whenever someone on these boards mentions the name of someone like Clark Terry or Hank Jones or Frank Wess, some wiseguy always has to step in and comment on how they don't take enough chances musically. And my response is always so what? People always want to take a shot at the musicians who don't fit their own artistic paradigm, and I can't figure it out. If Hank's playing is too pretty or isn't daring enough for your ears, you're listening to the wrong person. It would be like saying, Ornette, you write such great tunes, but why can't you work on your intonation or play some more standards, or bebop changes? Some musicians are all about taking chances, some are all about "good taste" and I can't figure out why people here seem to think that only one of those is acceptable.

Whenever someone on these boards mentions the name of someone like Clark Terry or Hank Jones or Frank Wess, some wiseguy always has to step in and comment on how they don't take enough chances musically. And my response is always so what? People always want to take a shot at the musicians who don't fit their own artistic paradigm, and I can't figure it out. If Hank's playing is too pretty or isn't daring enough for your ears, you're listening to the wrong person. It would be like saying, Ornette, you write such great tunes, but why can't you work on your intonation or play some more standards, or bebop changes? Some musicians are all about taking chances, some are all about "good taste" and I can't figure out why people here seem to think that only one of those is acceptable.

Amen to that, brother.