Impromptu visit from Randissimo

Dr. Rat

Randissimo was in town last night for a gig with the Jeff Haas Quintet (Jeff Haas, piano; George Benson, alto & tenor; Rob Smith, trumpet; Marion Haden, bass and Randissimo giving harmonica lessons).

Anyhow, Randy dropped by to kill a little time before load-in and brought along some rough cuts from Organissimo's forthcoming cd. It sounds fat!

Can't wait till they finish polishing it and get it out to the massive.

We ended up playing a couple of tunes in the funky vein, Wealthy Street

Jim wrote: We then went on to do another take of "Wealthy St." and this time we nailed it as well! It's really funky and dynamic and will probably open the record.

and Greaze Monkey (which featured some tasty percussion)

Jim wrote: We started the session doing an old tune that we actually recorded for the last album, but it did not make the cut. It was originally a tribute of sorts to John Patton, that we called "Patton Pending", but it has gone through several groove-ectomies in the last few years. We finally came up with a whole different way of playing it a few weeks ago... a sort of New Orleans second-line feel, but with a twist that obscures the "one". If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it! Just know that it be funky!

We also changed it's name. It is now called "Greaze Monkey". Bill laid down some nice latinesque percussion on this one and Randy played the funky second-line feel like a native New Orleanean.

The Zappa tune, Peaches in Regalia, was very cool indeed. According to Randy it's on the cusp of inclusion on the CD. Let me urge the movers and shakers downstate: Peaches deserves a spot! Very intertestingly stretches Zappa, and the band's sound, I think.

Thnaks, Randy, for the drop-by. You make good radio!

Good to see you, and hopefully we'll get to see the lot of you at some point very soon,

--eric

Edited by Dr. Rat

Randissimo was in town last night for a gig with the Jeff Haas Quintet (Jeff Haas, piano; George Benson, alto & tenor; Rob Smith, trumpet; Marion Haden, bass and Randissimo giving harmonica lessons).

Anyhow, Randy dropped by to kill a little time before load-in and brought along some rough cuts from Organissimo's forthcoming cd. It sounds fat!

Can't wait till they finish polishing it and get it out to the massive.

We ended up playing a couple of tunes in the funky vein, Wealthy Street

Jim wrote: We then went on to do another take of "Wealthy St." and this time we nailed it as well! It's really funky and dynamic and will probably open the record.

and Greaze Monkey (which featured some tasty percussion)

Jim wrote: We started the session doing an old tune that we actually recorded for the last album, but it did not make the cut. It was originally a tribute of sorts to John Patton, that we called "Patton Pending", but it has gone through several groove-ectomies in the last few years. We finally came up with a whole different way of playing it a few weeks ago... a sort of New Orleans second-line feel, but with a twist that obscures the "one". If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it! Just know that it be funky!

We also changed it's name. It is now called "Greaze Monkey". Bill laid down some nice latinesque percussion on this one and Randy played the funky second-line feel like a native New Orleanean.

The Zappa tune, Peaches in Regalia, was very cool indeed. According to Randy it's on the cusp of inclusion on the CD. Let me urge the movers and shakers downstate: Peaches deserves a spot! Very intertestingly stretches Zappa, and the band's sound, I think.

Thnaks, Randy, for the drop-by. You make good radio!

Good to see you, and hopefully we'll get to see the lot of you at some point very soon,

--eric

Actually there will probably be a gig in TC sometime this summer... Jeff Haas was talking about a couple of possibilities...

I hope it makes it to the album! :cool:

You didn't play the stuff on the air, did you!??

RANDY!!! :angry:

That's what happens when you give the drummer sensitive material!!! You're not making CD-Rs for your friends, are you!?!?

:P

We just finished up final mixing today and we were working on Peaches. Both Joe and I were scratching our heads as to where it fits within the scheme of the other tunes.

The votes for the inclusion of Peaches are duely noted.

:)

We just finished up final mixing today and we were working on Peaches.  Both Joe and I were scratching our heads as to where it fits within the scheme of the other tunes.

Cool. I want to hear what you did with it. I've got to get my act together and place an order.

You didn't play the stuff on the air, did you!??

RANDY!!!  :angry: 

Of course not! We never play anything that doesn't have a UPC symbol on it and a 50-dollar-bill packed in with the promo stuff. What do you take us for?

That's what happens when you give the drummer sensitive material!!!  You're not making CD-Rs for your friends, are you!?!?

:P

We just finished up final mixing today and we were working on Peaches.  Both Joe and I were scratching our heads as to where it fits within the scheme of the other tunes.

I can see what you're saying about the fit being a bit of a stretch. I suggest you actually try listening to it sequenced with the rest of the material in various spots that seem likely. You'll find that stuff sometimes fits in in practice in ways unimaginable when you're just theorizing. (Take it from an old DJ).

But, also sometimes not. Good luck with the project. I definitely look forward to seeing you guys up here.

--eric

Edited by Dr. Rat