Jazz in Denver?

LWayne

There's Dazzle at 930 Lincoln. Major jazz names from time to time. http://www.dazzlejazz.com/calendar.htm

Not much going on that Sunday and Monday night....unfortunately.

Then there's El Chapultepec, on the corner of 19th and Market in LoDo, (Lower Downtown). El Chapultepec is a bizarre haven for modern day jazz musicians. Often times you can find the best players there after hours from an earlier performance at Dazzle. It's one of those strange but charming little places that brings in a diverse but devoted growd. Okay, it's a dive. Well worth swinging by on a jazz night. In the 50s and 60s, Ella, Sinatra, Ellington used to have their limos drop them off. Used to be a rough neighborhood but now it's about 2 or 3 blocks from Coors Field. It's fine. Once again, Sunday and Monday nights might be a problem.

I happen to be in Denver for the next week or so-- anything going on tomorrow (June 18) or the next weekend (thu/fri/sat)? If nothing else, I'll check out David "Fathead" Newman at Dazzle-- hopefully there's seating available at a bar/lounge (hate having the table alone!)

I'm not averse to driving a couple of hours if there's anything interesting in the vicinity...

• 3 years later...

Any updates? I'm hip to Dazzle and El Chapultepec, having been to both several years ago. And KUVO radio.

Don't really plan to do any shopping, but might drop in at a shop or two to pick up free newspapers with music listings and a magazine or two. And to chat up the counter staff, if we both have a couple of minutes to waste.

Twist and Shout?

Cheapo?

Second Spin?

Jerrys?

Independent?

It's pretty rare for me to have even a couple of hours off these days, so I want to take maximum advantage of any 'windfall'.

Any updates? I'm hip to Dazzle and El Chapultepec, having been to both several years ago. And KUVO radio.

Don't really plan to do any shopping, but might drop in at a shop or two to pick up free newspapers with music listings and a magazine or two. And to chat up the counter staff, if we both have a couple of minutes to waste.

Twist and Shout?

Cheapo?

Second Spin?

Jerrys?

Independent?

It's pretty rare for me to have even a couple of hours off these days, so I want to take maximum advantage of any 'windfall'.

an old friend of mine lives and plays around denver regularly: Dominic lalli. great saxophone player. if he's playing w/ his jazz group (occasionally including rudy royston or ron miles) anywhere around where you're at you should try to get in on it. he also plays in a kind of dance/trance/party/hiphop/groove thing which is fun too but a whole other bag that may not what you're looking for...