Tom Harrell in Austin tonight (Fri)

Tom Harrell is playing with the Gerry Gibbs (son of Terry) trio tonight at the Elephant Room here in Austin. As usual, there's been absolutely no advertising of the event. So, I thought I'd alert anybody who might be interested.

I may make it myself, but a last minute gig may have foiled my plan. I'd love to see Harrell. Especially right here in my hometown for 10 bucks. :D

Wow. I don't know a heck of a lot about Tom Harrell. Except this, he's the best trumpet player I've ever seen. Walked into the club and realized it was going to be a light crowd. Most wouldn't know Tom Harrell if they hit him with a stick, they were just there to drink and talk in a dark place. Fortunately, there was a small, relatively enthusiastic, crowd near the stage.

Harrell is an imposing presence. His schezophrenia(?), although under control, does leave it's mark on his facial expressions and body language. Head bowed, arms drooping to the side. He seems oblivious to almost everything. But as soon as he counts the song off (in a robotic drone), and raises his horn....complete fucking magic. If jazz is playing what you hear in your head, then there's got to be no better player capable of that than Harrell. His command of the instrument is amazing. Tone, melodies, gymnastics...they all flow from his fertile imagination.

He played all original compositions sans "What's New" the first set. I loved them all. His compositions are so damn melodic and....bluesey...full of guts. He dug into them all like a hungry kid.

How Tom Harrell can play a one-nighter with a p/u band in Austin Texas for a $7 cover to 100 people is amazing to me. I hope some other board members made it. I'd like to hear their take on things.

Well, I sure didn't make it. I didn't even know it was happening! I really don't get out much as my life isn't geared for it. Last time I was at the Elephant Room was a get together for the return to town of an acquaintance of mine, Mel Winters, who is an amazing composer/pianist and a great but reluctant trumpeter/flugelhornist. I was very disappointed that the P A system was even on and that it kept being made louder and louder. . . . The musicians were the ones responsible; I wanted to hear just the instruments in that nice small space, but no!

Damn Lon, I should have PM'd you about him being here. Sorry. I think you would have enjoyed it. I know I did, especially since it seemed like such an unlikely thing to happen.

I do agree the Elephant room has a bad PA and no soundman. So the band ends up running it, not alway to the best effect. The acoustic piano is so bad there, nobody plays it. Always electronic keyboards it seems when I'm there. Plus, nobody seems to be there for the music that much. Dewey Redman and Tom Harrell are two big names I've seen there recently, but not many people seemed to be hip to who they were.

Also, shameful there was NO press on this. But Austin, which embraces any garage band in the world, can't muster up enough enthusiasm for world class jazzmen. The powers that be at the Chronicle and Statesmen should be ashamed of themselves.

S, I've given up on the "scene" here. I used to be out in it briefly (not in jazz) and it gave me little pleasure and taught me a real disdain for drunken frat boys et al! I rarely venture out, my wife is happy with that situation for the most part (i. e. she doesn't mind not going where I would want to go!) and I do miss the occasional great event. . .but ultimately the way the city is biased towards alternative rock bands etc. I don't miss out on too much. . . .

I don't go out to clubs myself that much. I've been playing in them long enough that, when I do have a night out, the last thing I want to do is go to a club. The only exceptions I'll make is for something like a Tom Harrell or Dewey Redman. But, for the most part, people of that caliber give concerts in halls and theatres. Much better venues for enjoying real "listening." The drunken frat boy factor spills over into the drunken yuppie factor which evolves on with age into other things. The bottom line being, listening to thoughtful music isn't in the equation. Thus the need for bands that fulfill the "soundtrack for beer" need.

I REALLY have to want to see somebody to run into downtown Austin on a Friday night. Tom Harrell fit the bill this time. :D

I have to jump in and say that, Soul Stream....I couldn't have said it better myself. I saw Tom with his quintet about two months ago here in Chicago, and I walked out of there thinking the exact same thing. The best trumpeter I've ever seen.

I have to jump in and say that, Soul Stream....I couldn't have said it better myself. I saw Tom with his quintet about two months ago here in Chicago, and I walked out of there thinking the exact same thing. The best trumpeter I've ever seen.

...just another thought. I went to the Village Vanguard to see Lou Donaldson last year. Afterwards, me and a waitress went out and ate breakfast. I asked her, since she worked there all the time, who her favorite perfromer at the Vanguard was. She thought about it for a few seconds and said..., Tom Harrell.

That's pretty high praise from someone who sees all the greats on a nightly basis.