How to seperate tracks on tape to cd?

Jazztropic

The shareware program Audacity will allow you to do this. However, you will be manipulating rather large files so I would make sure you have a lot of RAM and try to kill any un-needed processes. You'll be doing huge cut & paste operations. It works well. As an added feature, you can add additional silence if you want.

www.download.com had Audacity the last time I looked.

Kevin

Anyone have any help on how to take a cdr of an old tape and make the one long set into indiavidual tracks? My brother transfered an old concert on VHS to cd and it came out as one long 37 minute track.If anyone can help I  would appreciate the advise.

What equipment do you have?

Colin AKA SeeWhyAudio

I understand you only have a CDr of the material? You will need to extract a .wav from that. From a quick glance at the specs, I do not think Audacity can do this. You will need a programme like Exact Audio Copy or CDex

http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

This .wav will be a pretty big file! My guess would be about 500Mb or more.

This .wav will be a pretty big file! My guess would be about 500Mb or more.

I usually see about 10 MB per minute. So a 37 minute "track" should be about a 370 MB file.

As I said in my earlier post, with a file this size, be sure you have a lot of RAM. In order to create new tracks out of this big track, you'll have to open the big one, cut & paste part of it into another file, which will also be large, and then save that new file. If you don't have >768 MB of RAM, you'll likely be in "swap mode" and your system may crawl.

BTW, I use EZ CD Creator to extract the .WAV files to my hardrive. EAC is good but it can be extremely slow on CD-Rs.

Kevin

Thansk for your help but at this time I do not have the brains to figure this out.I downloaded Audacity but can't seem to get it to work.Thanks for the advice maybe I will get it in a few weeks.It is a great 1965 live set from Blakey with Lee Morgan and John Gilmore .

I'm with you on the difficulty of using Audacity.

Try CD Wave Editor (a Google search will give you a number of sites from which to download). Simple interface, designed to do the specific job. I've used it for quite awhile now. It's a shareware, but I believe you will be able to use it without having to pay if you don't want to.

Audacity is pretty simple for what you're trying to do. Highlight the chunk of the audio you want, then click the "Edit" menu and click "Copy". Next, open a new window in Audacity and then hit Edit>paste. It's as simple as editing a word document. After you paste that music into the new window, do a file "Export as wave", give it a name. Done.

I found Audactiy to be simple to use. I used it to create some mp3 ringtones for my cell phone. I made one from the intro to "So What" and another with Shorter's solo on "Free For All". :)

Kevin

I guess my bigest problem is I can not seem to get the file into audacity to even edit it.I must not have it working correctly.

Robert, for any editing of music files, you have to copy them off the CD and onto your hardrive. It's usually called "extracting" the files. If you simply copy them onto your hardrive, you'll wind up with .cda files that are about 2 kB each, not .WAV files that are about 50-100 MB each. You have to have a program that will do this. I use EZ CD Creator.

As someone else pointed out, Exact Audio Copy http://www.eac.de can do this too. However, EAC is very poorly documented and it is a chore to use. When you get it working, it's great. However, I have found it takes a long time to extract .WAV files off of CD-R discs.

Kevin

the other option would be to use CDex for the extraction (or ripping). It is small, free, and easy to use.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

there's a tutorial here.

You should go through numbers 1, 2 and 3 to set up the programme (skip the mp3 and normalisation stuff). Under #3, it is explained how you can make sure that the big file you are going to rip will end up somewhere on your harddisk where there is enough room for it. Then look up how to rip wavs under #6