Decca Jazz Studio 3/4 on Night Lights tonight

jgraas.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Jazz Studio 3 & 4: John Graas and Jack Millman," two more entries in Decca's mid-1950s Jazz Studio series. John Graas was a classically-trained French horn player who worked with several famous big bands in the 1940s and who studied with both Lennie Tristano and West Coast music guru Wesley La Violette. In the 1950s he was active on the West Coast jazz scene and also did a stint on Liberace's TV program. In this program we'll hear selections from his "Jazz Studio 3" album, including his compositions "6/4 and Even" and excerpts from his "Symphony 1 in F Minor," as well as a quartet version of "My Buddy" with baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan sitting in.

jmillman.jpg

We'll also hear music from trumpeter Jack Millman's "Jazz Studio 4." Millman is another lesser-known West Coast jazz figure who led several album dates in the late 1950s; like Graas, he was steeped in classical influence and also worked with Stan Kenton's orchestra at one time. "Jazz Studio 4" consists of Millman originals arranged by Jimmy Giuffre, Bill Holman, Pete Rugolo, and others. The program airs Saturday, July 2 at 11:05 p.m (9:05 California time, 12:05 NYC time). You can listen live or wait until Tuesday afternoon, when the program will be posted to the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Duets: Two Degrees of Separation."

Great show David!  Thanks for mentioning my contribution to the program.  I'm going to Ball State University next week to look at the John Graas Archive.

Hey, glad that you especially caught it! It won't get archived until Tuesday because of the holiday. I'm sure that you'll find a lot of interest in the collection at Ball State.