Ruth Young

brownie

The singer on the cover of the Nigel-Hayer release looked like Monica Vitti in a not too good day and it took me a few seconds to reconnect with the name.

Those who have read James Gavin's biography of Chet Baker 'Deep In a Dream' will probably be familiar with her relation to the trumpet player.

Ruth Young

The just released 2002 session with alto saxophonist Herb Geller (and pianist Walter Lang, vibraphonist Wolfgang Lackerschmid and bass player Rocky Knauer) is a pretty good try. No need to look far for the name of the singer who influenced her!

James Gavin wrote the liner notes. There was a version of 'My Funny Valentine' which was supposed to be included in the album but was left out of the final release. Ruth Young decided against its use 'for several reasons'!

Now about this Nagel-Heyer release, is it good? I saw it in a store this week but had not time to get an earful!

Not too bad but really nothing exceptional about it. Mainly for diehard Chet Baker nostalgia fans. It's a similar inner (and slow) mood that pervades too many Chet Baker releases but without the man's obvious talent! And Herb Geller is not heard enough!

Ubu, you're Swiss and went at Ms. Young's looks in a very unbecoming way :g

I'm French and stuck to (almost) gallant neutrality :lol:<_<

Should have avoided a comparison with La Vitti which I had not meant to be turned out into a red flag at the young bull inside you!

But there really was something to it...