1776 The Movie

As the 4th of July draws near, thought I'd bring up this classic film with William Daniels as John Adams, Ken Howard (who knew he could sing!) as Jefferson, an excellent Howard Da Silva as Franklin and a very young and hot Blythe Danner as Martha Jefferson.

Guess I was mighty bored this morning, because I started to think who among us could be cast in which roles, and I came to this inescapable conclusion:

Johnny IS John Adams, with his tenacious biting at the legs of the rest of the Congress, so cocksure that he is right. And he certainly fits two of the best numbers-the opener, "For God Sake's John, Sit Down!" and "But Mr. Adams"-"But Mr. Adams, dear Mr. Adams-you are obnoxious and disliked that cannot be denied" (here's a link to a page of lyrics.)

I'd also nominate Weizen as fun-loving, partying patriot Henry Lee.

Anyone else enjoy this film as much as I do?

• 3 years later...

Hey Dan, on Friday nights here during the summer, they show the movie as a sing-along with props--a la "Rocky Horror Picture Show"--in Independence National Park (just a couple of blocks from Independence Hall). Read about it here (but ignore the photo to the right which has nothing to do with the movie). We went 2 summers ago, and it was quite a hoot. Lots of tourists/"1776" groupies singing along with "Sit down, John!" You should come up one summer and participate--just bring your tri-corner hat.

Hey Dan, on Friday nights here during the summer, they show the movie as a sing-along with props--a la "Rocky Horror Picture Show"--in Independence National Park (just a couple of blocks from Independence Hall). Read about it here (but ignore the photo to the right which has nothing to do with the movie). We went 2 summers ago, and it was quite a hoot. Lots of tourists/"1776" groupies singing along with "Sit down, John!" You should come up one summer and participate--just bring your tri-corner hat.

That's hysterical that they are doing that. :tup

If I go, I'll be the one singing "I say vote 'yes'!" ahead of the "Sit down, John" replies. :g