early jazz tunes in ogg format

Robert J

Looks like plenty of interest for those interested in the first decade or so of recorded jazz and near jazz.

I downloaded the codec for Windows Media Player, and got it to work, but the audio seems more along the lines of streaming audio or Real Player than MP3 "quality" --- lots of "fizzy" highs and phase "swirliness". Is this typical for this format??

Is the point of this format to have something that can be played with relative ease on a computer, but not so easily "ripped" to MP3 or CDR? I guess if the quality is kind of dodgy, that would serve the same purpose for me, but just curious.

Thanks for the link, in any case!

Jim - did you get in?

The site has a link to this OGG converter

http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm

True - sound quality is not stellar; consider the sources from the 1920s! But it isn't technically streaming either tatifan. You can download these files and burn them just the same as you would wav or mp3 files.

Sure, I know the source material issue, but I'm hearing other artifacts, something oddly out of phase and metallic in the highs that doesn't occur in mp3 encoding, for all the limitations of mp3....just trying to figure if it's from the transferring of the matieral, or something intrinsic to ogg encoding.

Tried dropping one of the files into Nero for burning, but it doesn't recognize the file type. I guess there's probably another program or codec or something I don't have to do this.