Audio DVD

StormP

A while back there was quite a discussion on transferring LPs to DVDs as audio. One member, I forget his name, really pushed it. ( Why is the sky blue?)

Anyway, I tried it. There is a hangup. A DVD can only have 99 chapters. An LP or CD track is treated like a chapter. You navigate the tracks by advancing to the nect DVD chapter. But when you hit 99, that's it. You can no longer navigate even if there are more tracks. The tracks after 99 play all right, but you can't select them.

For example: 7 CDs @ 20 tracks = 140 tracks. Put the 7 CDs on the DVD and you can select only up to 99. Quite a bummer I would say.

Are there solutions? Any comments!

(No commnets about the sieve, please)

The person who was advocating burning LPs to DVD was talking about burning to 24/96 DVD-Audio. There is no way you could fit 7 LPs of music onto a single DVD-Audio disc using 24 bit, 96 kHz sampling. That would be too much data. I suppose you might be able to fit 7 LPs of wav files, but I know of no player that could play back the resulting disc.

There are also some DVD players that can read DVD data discs with mp3 files on them. Mine cannot. I suppose if your mchine can read these discs and the display is limited to 99, this would be a problem.

Kevin

It may not work for what you're wanting to do.

There're many reasons and ways to record sound to DVD,

and, like Kevin said, if you're wanting to follow what the

earlier poster was advocating, then you'll have to keep the quantity of songs

much lower.

I transfer for various reasons and nearly 100% of the time it is not

to listen to them on a DVD player, but the computer.

I'm always working with sound samples for new works that I'm creating

and I archive them by the hundreds on DVD.

Another reason: if you have, for example, a series of recordings

that you'd like to keep on one disc for easier listening access -

like the complete Mosaic Selects - you can burn the nearly 700 songs

onto a single-sided DVD.

Also, Roxio Toast offers a way to make a "DVD music album"

which you can play on your DVD player.

It not only plays the music, but shows the song titles

and cover art on your TV screen. Goes over big here during Xmas get-togethers

because I've created a 2 disc set of 720 "holiday" songs (42 hours worth)

that you just pop in the DVD player - it looks like a cable radio station playing.

It is one of the very few times that I've made a sound disc for the DVD player.

So, if you're interested in super-high quality (beyond the capability of ears),

then you're gonna have to keep your quantity low(er).

Edited by rostasi

To Kevin,

There is a slight misconception. I am not talking about DVD-Audio, but what's sometimes called audio-DVD. The Wav files are incorporated into the Video stream. I can get about 9 or 10 LPs on the DVD. Any DVD player will play those back. The problem is a DVD can only display 99 tracks (called chapters).

I am talking 16/44. The research I have done says the most resolution you can get out of a new LP is about 12 bit, which means 16/44 is more than good enough.

I am also going to bypass my soundcard and transfer directly from LP to table top DVD recorder using DVD+RW discs, then rip the audio from the burned DVD+RW.

MP3 is not an option. I am only interested in Wav files.

To Rostasi,

Roxio Toast may be an option, but it's only for the Mac, right?

I tremble by the thought of Roxio, nearly wrecked my system sometime ago.

I don't want to use the TV either. Only the DVD player for playback. Many receivers play back DVDs.

I don't see how you can get 42 hours of audio on a DVD unless the audio is compressed (not MP3).

One solution to the 99 track limit is to append 2 LP tracks together as one track, of course with the normal pause between them.

To ?? (I can put water in a sieve. The water comes out nice and clean, especially if its tea water. The sky is blue because of the water. If water has gone thru the sieve, the sky is much more blue)