I read the news today oh boy

B. Goren.

What about "Close to the Edge", "21st Century Schizoid Man", "Songs from the Woods", and "Tarkus"? :huh:

What about them?

BEST BRITISH SONG

1. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

2. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

3. Wonderwall - Oasis

4. God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols

5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

6. My Generation - The Who

7. Angels - Robbie Williams

8. Life on Mars? - David Bowie

9. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones

10. Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack

Really glad to see the Kinks so high up the list!   :tup

"Waterloo Sunset" has got to be the best pick on that list. But what about Eno's "Burning Airlines Give You So Much More"? :)

Also, one song each by Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, and XTC would have been nice. But that's just me.

I thought it was common knowledge that "Burning Airlines..." was the best song of all time.

I love the artists that you've selected above, but which songs of theirs, man, which songs?!?! Perhaps Lowe and Costello could be collapsed into one: the latter's rendition of the former's "What's so Funny 'bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?"

Just eliminate 3, 5, 7, 8 & 10, and I can deal with it.  Replacing them with BruceH's suggestions would be mighty fine... :tup

How old are you 'moose? I'm the same age as BruceH. Is this an age-dependent thang?

Not necessarily. But I suspect that 'moose being a mere four years older than us doesn't hurt. In any case, I'll leave the choice of songs up to the individual. Mayber a list of top ten British rock artists would less objectionable.

BTW:

("...the ultimate sonic rendition of what it means to be British"?? Wha? You might as well choose The Lumberjack Song, by Monty Python. What? Did I say something wrong?)

I'm not really into best-of lists and such things, but I think it's worth noting that Q magazine cited "A Day in the Life" as "the ultimate sonic rendition of what it means to be British." This is rather different from the criterion that most of you seem to be using, which has something to do with what is "the best song" by a British writer/group.

I'm not saying that "A Day in the Life" is the "best" based on that criterion - I just wanted to clarify the terms of the debate.

Real good point. Village Green Preservation Society, Victoria, Waterloo Sunset, and a number of other Kinks songs have always conveyed a strong sense of what it means to be British to me.

I'm not really into best-of lists and such things, but I think it's worth noting that Q magazine cited "A Day in the Life" as "the ultimate sonic rendition of what it means to be British." This is rather different from the criterion that most of you seem to be using, which has something to do with what is "the best song" by a British writer/group.

I'm not saying that "A Day in the Life" is the "best" based on that criterion - I just wanted to clarify the terms of the debate.

Whatever, limey.

:P

:lol::D:mellow::beee:

Based on the criteria "what it means to be British" I would nominate on of my favourite songs from the 70's:

Roy Harper -  "One of those days in England"

Also, I think "Life on Mars" is one of the very best Bowie songs from his best album, 'Hunky Dory'.

I agree that "Life On Mars" certainly IS one of the best songs from the Bowie album Hunky Dory. But that Hunky Dory is Bowie's best album??? That's where we part company.

Based on the criteria "what it means to be British" I would nominate on of my favourite songs from the 70's:

Roy Harper -  "One of those days in England"

Also, I think "Life on Mars" is one of the very best Bowie songs from his best album, 'Hunky Dory'.

I agree that "Life On Mars" certainly IS one of the best songs from the Bowie album Hunky Dory. But that Hunky Dory is Bowie's best album??? That's where we part company.

Well, it's hard to say that Bowie has a "best album." Hunky Dory is among the least flawed albums he's produced.

One thing about this list that amuses me is the inclusion of "Sympathy For The Devil." What does it say about Britain? Seems to be aimed at the American market, with its JFK reference.

I'd vote for Nick Lowe's "American Squirm," except it wasn't ever a hit. Among the greatest opening lines of any pop tune: "I made an American squirm/And it felt so right."

I'd vote for Nick Lowe's "American Squirm," except it wasn't ever a hit.

So? "A Day In the Life" wasn't ever a single, either, and IT'S on the list.

I'd vote for almost any song from Labor of Lust as far as Nick Lowe goes.

As for Bowie, how about "Joe the Lion"? I recently listened to the Heroes album again, and that song still does it for me.

Elvis Costello: "This Year's Girl" (or "Radio, Radio"---both more relevent than ever.)

Graham Parker: "Waiting for the UFO's"

XTC: A difficult choice, but as a confirmed F&G fan, it's hard to get "No Language In Our Lungs" out of my head.