Jim Hall - CONCIERTO

JSngry

This is one of the cds I play to help put me to sleep at night.  I mean that in a positive way.  It's really mellow and nice.

This album came out right around the time I was born. My dad says he used to play it to calm me down and help me sleep. I listened to it again a few years ago and remember thinking it was a little too "slick" and "pretty" for me, but that was when I was heavy in a avant-jazz/noise trip. It may be time to pull out the record again.

Two posters so far who recommend this for sleeping.

Hmmmmmm.....

I owned this on vinyl years ago, and I remember liking one side of it. But the "Concierto... " side left me cold back then, owing to Gadd's "funky" drumming. I eventually sold it.

I'm not sure that I'd react so harshly to the grooviness of "Concierto..." anymore, and Sangrey referred to some bonus material that sounds intriguing.

So my question is: is this worth buying?

based on Claude recommendations i also got the SACD of this great album. the sound is amazing on this one

Marcus

Marcus, I'm glad you like the SACD. However, in my view the sound quality of the recording is not that good to benefit significantly from MFSL remastering and SACD treatment.

For fans of the album, the limited edition SACD is a nice collector's item which offers the best sound on a digital format (by a small margin), but for most people the remastered midprice CD reissue (released in 1997 and 2002) will do.

I have posted a review (mainly on the sound) on SA-CD.net:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/1566#2888

Edited by Claude