Mosaic Selects

It seems pretty clear that the regular Mosaic boxes are a decent investment-- I don't think I've ever seen one sell for less than the retail purchase price, and usually much much more.

Do the numbered Mosaic selects have that kind of upside? I am curious why they bother with a numbered set if they are going to sell retail anyway... is there some pre-determined lifespan for the retail sales?

My feeling about this is that if you buy something like a Mosaic just for an investment, you probably shouldn't. You can never tell how or if these things will appreciate or depreciate in the future. I buy 'em for the music and usually just one set. Now, if it does, that's nice but not the reason I buy it. These kinds of collectibles are just too speculative to buy a lot of.

Actually, I'm not buying them just for the investment-- but I have limited dollars and see some interesting stuff that is both Select and not-- so I don't see the harm in figuring which one is likely to retain its value. But in the end, I'm buying for the music (else I'd buy a lot more Mosaic boxes, as they have a better return for the dollar than my bank account appears to :)

Investment-wise the traditional Mosaic boxes would seem to be the way to go. It's still too early to tell what's going to happen with the resale value of the Selects. I suspect they number them purely out of collector-archivist reflex. I'd rather they didn't: Those big number badges kind of ruin the front covers. But hey, it's the music that counts.

It seems pretty clear that the regular Mosaic boxes are a decent investment-- I don't think I've ever seen one sell for less than the retail purchase price, and usually much much more.

I assume you're talking about the OOP sets?

And again, you might be talking about ebay prices.

But there have been sales on ebay for less than retail. Not often.

The Four Freshmen and Bobby Hackett probably won't sell for more, even when they go OOP.

I've seen several Mosaic sets at used stores for less than the retail price.

It's all supply/demand.