James Dean

Chalupa

7/4 already answered the question... it came out of a whole series of photographs that Stock took of Dean just before East of Eden opened in March of 1955. If you've ever seen the Fairmount, IN farm shots, including the famous "You can't go home again" photo (where Dean is standing in front of his uncle's house, looking to his left while his dog turns to the right), those come from the same series. Stock just published a book of those photos:

0810959038.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Stock, by the way, did a book of jazz photography called JAZZ STREET.

I devoted last week's Night Lights episode to Dean and Robert Altman's 1957 documentary The James Dean Story. I actually thought about driving up to Fairmount today... I was up there with my mom once before, when I was about 19, and we went to the gravesite. There were thousands of people up there last weekend for the annual Museum Days; Dean still exerts a powerful pull, evidently.

Just think... if he was still alive he'd probably look like the old Chet Baker.

:blink:

:o

I made an allusion to that in the Night Lights show, actually, because Chet Baker was on the jazz version of the soundtrack, and was sometimes marketed (to his annoyance, I think) after Dean's death as "the James Dean of jazz." I commented that Baker, unlike Dean, left no illusions whatsoever of eternal youth.

I drive by Fairmount every month or so while going to Ft. Wayne on business. Somwtimes I swing through town and by his family's farm and gravesite; still looks about the same.

m!

I was also in Monterey a week or so ago and stopped into Salinas as well. Dean was actually on him was to Salinas on the fateful day he crashed and died.

7/4 already answered the question... it came out of a whole series of photographs that Stock took of Dean just before East of Eden opened in March of 1955.  If you've ever seen the Fairmount, IN farm shots, including the famous "You can't go home again" photo (where Dean is standing in front of his uncle's house, looking to his left while his dog turns to the right), those come from the same series.  Stock just published a book of those photos:

0810959038.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Stock, by the way, did a book of jazz photography called JAZZ STREET.

I devoted last week's Night Lights episode to Dean and Robert Altman's 1957 documentary The James Dean Story.  I actually thought about driving up to Fairmount today... I was up there with my mom once before, when I was about 19, and we went to the gravesite.  There were thousands of people up there last weekend for the annual Museum Days; Dean still exerts a powerful pull, evidently.

David,

If you decide to drive up some weekend, let me know and I'll join in. Maybe we can find that casket and you can climb in for a re-inactment!

m~