Hersh Hamel's Songbook featuring Art Pepper

JSngry

hamel_hersh_hershhame_101b.jpg

Imagine Art Pepper, in 1975, taking the role of Bennie Maupin in a local southern California original-material jazz/funk band (with vocals that are prominent at times, but never dominate) that based their style on the Herbie Hancock of Man-Child and slightly beyond. It's 1975, remember, a time when many jazz players viewed funk as (mostly) just another rhythm to play over, not a reason to change your entire way of playing. This is what Pepper does - plays as he played anything else at this time. Only this time, it was over supple funk beats, and he was part of a group, not the whole show. And oh yeah - Pete Robinson's the keyboardist.

Go ahead, imagine it....

Now, if you're screaming in horror, laughing in derision, or otherwise refusing up-front to give the idea even a semblance of a chance for working, then stop here.

Otherwise, check out this album.

Simple as that!

It ain't bad, actually. Kinda "local", but not in a bad way. Derivative but not imitative small-group jazz-funk w/o any glossy production (except for the last tune, a short outright disco thing on which I swear that Pepper is not the altoist). Some will call it "dated", and they will be right. But all music is (or becomes) "dated" in some form or fashion, so that's not a problem for me.

Pepper, though, is definitely the selling point. He plays really well in this context, I think.

Edited by JSngry