Atomic

Peter

Absolutely brilliant! Jazz CD of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

I was lucky enough to see Atomic earlier this year with Ken Vandermark guesting on a few tunes. This CD grabs all the excitement of that gig.

They have this ability to be on the edge and sometimes over the edge, yet lyrical and accessible.

If you enjoyed 'Feet Music', 'Boom Boom' or the School Days discs jump at this without hesitation. My favourite band of the present.

It's a limited edition.

I can recommend CDon.com in Sweden as a good source. I ordered on a Sunday and had it by Wednesday after waiting for four months from a UK dealer with no action.

The Dusty Groove website is now indicating that this set is not currently available.  I was able to order it for $30, shipping included, from amazon.uk.

Rupe

How strange. Accessed from here in the UK, Amazon.co.uk has it listed at £25.99 which is over $50.

Whatever the cost (well, within reason!), it's a stunner.

• 3 weeks later...

After several attempts I was finally able to get a copy of his from Dustygroove. Excellent material. I also bought Feet Music and Boom Boom, which are both very good, but Bikini Tapes is, to my ears, the cream of the crop.

For $32 it is really hard to go wrong. Very highly recommended.

After several attempts I was finally able to get a copy of his from Dustygroove.  Excellent material. I also bought Feet Music and Boom Boom, which are both very good, but Bikini Tapes is, to my ears, the cream of the crop.

For $32 it is really hard to go wrong.  Very highly recommended.

I also like this better (and it's one of the better things I've heard this year, as well as being one of the better efforts I've heard from any small energy jazz ensemble for a while) than either Feet Music and Boom Boom - they are good, too, if a little uneven; perhaps the band was getting better around the time Nuclear Assembly Hall was released. People are sick or hearing this, I think, but I was there for the Kongsberg part of this set and remember being quite impressed by the long bop tune, on disc 3, where all they do is trade (I haven't seen many good clarinet players live by Ljungkvist takes his place near the top, though certainly below Michael Moore). Also, the band (at least Paal) thought they were at the top of their games during the gigs on this set, well at least during the Kongsberg gig.

Edited by gnhrtg