Gerald Wilson in Pittsburgh

LWayne

Last Saturday I had the rare privilege (and I don't use that word lightly in this context) to catch the 87 year-old jazz legend conduct & lead the Roger Humphries Big Band through an intoxicating two and a half hour concert at the Byham Theater.

Rather than take a ceremonial role, Gerald was very energetic in putting the band through their paces. He spent a lot of time talking both to the audience to explain the history behind his compositions (mainly taken from his last two Mack Avenue CDs-"New York, New Sound", and the new "In My Time") and advising the younger members of the RHBB how they can learn everything that they need to know about soloing by playing in one key".

Personal highlight was the treatment given to his "Diminished Triangle" suite from the new album and the memorable song "Blues for Yna Yna" written for his daughter's cat. After the concert, my wife and I got to speak with Gerald Wilson for a few moments and his captivating smile never left his face. He graciously signed an autograph. Truly a remarkable man.

Not often when I walk away from a concert knowing that I will have fond memories of a performance and a virtuoso that will last a lifetime.

This was one such occasion.

Bravo!

LWayne

:tup

Great to hear that Gerald is on a roll again. He's coming to London next month as part of the London Jazz Festival, to perform with the BBC Big Band at QEH. Of all of the concerts at this festival - this one is a must-see for me.

gerald wilson is an amazing talent and person! just wish i had his energy at my much younger age! he "out-hung" me every night at the monterey jazz festival recently!!